SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Seed vendors getting meaner?

User
9 years ago

I have always grown the vast majority of my plants from seed....but lately, this is beginning to pall somewhat. Firstly, to say I am puzzled and disappointed by the quantities in commercial seed packets is an understatement. This year I bought thalictrum album (8 seeds) geum coccineum (6 seeds)various delphs (8-10 seeds) mertensia (20 seeds) many hardy geranium (average of 10 seeds )rhoemeria (a minute, almost invisible amount), papaver tianschanicum (same - a fraction of a fingernail).....and so on. Tulipa sprengens (8 seeds)! These are not plants which have barely any seeds - most of them are prolific seeders.

I have grown seeds for over 20 years and am seeing smaller amounts of even common plants in seed packets....while the costs have become almost as expensive as simply buying a couple of plants. I feel quite discouraged by this because not only are seed merchants vanishing, the qualities and varieties of plants are also diminishing.I am baffled at the absoluite parsimoniousness which enables someone to charge good money (over 3dollars) for 8 thalictrum seeds. Not only do I have to germinate these seeds - which leads me to another gripe - the germination is very dubious with many of them and I suspect a lot are no longer viable - I have to nurture them for several years to maybe end up with 2/3 plants after general attrition. I may as well have just bought the plants.....and, in fact, I will probably do just that and save some of the years of waiting and have my own propagating stock much quicker.
Obviously, seed exchanges are the way to go....which sorts of begs the question of doing this as I do not live in the US. I would be more than happy to either refund postage or do swaps for seeds anyone else might be looking for.
Has anyone else noticed something of a decline in qualitiy, variety and amounts recently......or is it just me getting pickier?

Comments (18)