SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdxlights_gw

gophers and roses--need replacement help

pdxlights
16 years ago

Now that I have finished crying I can post this. We have had a terrible gopher problem, they have eaten a largish Eucalyptus, numerous roses, Japanese Maples, bamboo, etc. We have set traps to no avail (I have been told it is an art); we have (very reluctantly) tried poison, which worked for a week or two. Tomorrow we are having a professional trapper come over to help. Today I came home and noticed the new leaves of my wonderful, healthy Ginger Syllabub were wilted and dead looking. I tugged on the main stem and it came right out of the ground. All roots had been eaten off and rodent marks covered the tough large main stem, the only thing left. I then looked at the Scent from Above not far away and pulled on it. Same thing. What it did not eat was a Cl. Blaze nearby (which I might have gladly replaced with a more black spot resistant rose), nor a cl.Golden Showers, which has never done well.

My question is: what wonderful, disease resistant, FAST growing, repeat blooming climber would you suggest to replace these against the south wall of my garden shed? I don't care about which color (tho not white), but would prefer some scent? I will post this in the rose forum as well.

I am USDA zone 8, tho 1600 ft above the Willamette Valley, so a little colder and windier than they.

thank you for your kind suggestions.

Comments (13)