SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greginshasta

HFGF 10x12: reinforcing for snow load?

greginshasta
17 years ago

While assembling our 10x12, I secured the poly panels with stainless screws to protect from winds. I bought some of the spring clips from Charlie's but they really didn't seem to help much - panels still blew out.

I also installed 3 horizontal braces at the top of the walls using 3/4" rigid conduit, as well as a strip of angle-aluminum across the top of the door.

With those mods, the unit is pretty rigid and seems to withstand wind issues.

Anyhow, we are in snow country and I'm wondering what others are doing with regard to vertical bracing of the roof. I realize that the HFGF 10x12 probably has not actually been through a snow season yet, since it was announced mid-winter 2006, but perhaps knowledge of other models will help.

I'm considering installing a framework of 4x4 posts on either side of the door (and in the rear) which would be topped with a 4x8 header, then another 4x4 which will support a 4x6 ridge beam that will extend from end-to-end. Almost all of this is used lumber which I have sitting around, so it's not a matter of cost for me to do this.

This type of reinforcement is common around here for the typical metal sheds that people use for garden storage. Without such internal framing, those metal sheds won't last a season.

Does anyone have a sense of whether such a reinforcement is appropriate so that snow will not collapse the HFGH, or is this simply over-kill? It took so very much work to build this beast I simply could not withstand the emotional trauma (laughing) of seeiing the dang thing crushed under our wet and heavy snows.

Thanks,

Greg

Comments (4)