SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcmars_gw

older craftsman 14.5 lawn tractor hydrolocked

mcmars
10 years ago

Hello all, new here w an older rider that hydrolocked a year and half ago, but about to get resurrected if I can get it going. I have model #917.258513 w serial #051297400223 w 14.5 HP I.C gold B&S motor. Motor info is: model#287707,
Type: 0255-01, Code is #970508ZE. Bought this used at garage sale about 5-6 years ago w rubbermaid cart. Mower had been well maintained by previous owner by neighbor who owned a small engine business.

Worked great for 4 years till white smoke on startup incident w gas in cylinder and plug. I went back to my honda push mower, but now want to get her rolling for some yard/garden shed projects.

I see the problem is from lack of fuel shut off valve and fuel filter on the design so float gets stuck and leaks fuel into motor. The motor still cranks over great and surprised to see the die hard battery took a charge yesterday. Today I plan on dumping oil crankcase and changing out oil, new plug, clean up old air filter good enough for now and some carb cleaner sprayed into the carbs to see what happens. Will also adjust the valves prior to start up, guessing a snug .004 & .006 might be the right setting??? Might have to pull float bowl if float stuck. Also dump old gas and flush out the tank.

Figure I try to get it going first to see if I can get it going before I invest in new fuel line, shut off valve, air filter, etc. Very hard to get any info on the old beast, not even sure on the year or anything. Thought I join up and see if some of the more experienced folks here could help w any tips and advice. Would like to locate and owners manual for maintenance if any one has a link or could email me a copy. So there you have it, off the the parts house for some oil. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions