SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ihatecatpee

climbing rose for west side z5

11 years ago

To start off, I am a lurker, for a long time. And a very dedicated one now that I am into roses! I need a suggestion. I purchased a home in IL (coming from NY-5 via TX-HOT) I inherited truck wrecking overgrown shrubs, a few day lilies, and chainsaw worthy winter creeper. I put a new bed in front of my house on the west side. I REALLY want a climbing rose there and am willing to do the work to get it. Unsure of zone 5 rose growing, I have come to the rose gods and goddesses of garden web. I would like to go with an Austin (why screw around?)

Looking for:

1. A re-bloomer
2. Fragrance is not the major objective
3. Limited THORNS. New Dawn is insane and tried to kill me in TX. I am the person who gets massacred and the cuts swell and puss. Yuk
4. Darker in color (no white, pale, pale... need a good contrast with the house
5. I don't really want to spray other than with the milk mix, but the world is not perfect and this is not a perfect spot in the world for a rose, so I will get over my organic gardening sense of self if need be.
6. Like I said, the west side, gets sun in summer at 1 and these IL summers are as almost as bad as San Antonio summers.
7. Watered with drip hose irrigation river water (yea for fish poop!)

All of you, in your individual and collective wisdom, could you please help and tell me if you think any of these will work:

1. Zephirine Drouhin (blackspot?)
2. Crown Princess Margareta Climbing
3. A Shropshire Lad Climbing (I know I said no pale, but I would give in for this gorgeous lad! )
4. Lady of Shallot Climbing
5. Tess of the d"Urbervilles climbing
6. Or can I attach a RDV to a trellis? (probably not, but what the heck, I'd ask)

Any opinion, guidance, idea, suggestion (even if it is, girl you are cray cray, just plant some morning glories) is greatly appreciated. Thank You!

-Allison

Comments (7)