SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahannas

Picking a new tractor.

ahannas
17 years ago

I have an 18 y/o CC 1320 (an entry level LT in 1989) and IÂm ready to replace it. When I began researching (my wife would say "obsessing") for a replacement I was a bit disappointed at what I saw. The entry level tractors were not what I was used to.

Then I realized that I can hardly replace tractor that cost $1900 in 1989 with a $2000 tractor today. So I started looking at the CC2500 series and the JD x300. Both are heavier than the entry level mowers and I feel more at home on them. I prefer the JD but have one hang up. The hydro is the K46 (bottom of the line from Tuff Torq).

I mow one level acre and use the tractor to pull up to 1000 # (mulch, topsoil, firewood) in a utility trailer. Occasionally, I do this up a long hill 9-10 % grade, a bit much for that K46. If IÂd end up replacing the hydro in 6-7 years  so be it. The cost of a replacing a K46 is less than the cost to upgrade a X304 (w/ K58)

Now the questions

1. Will the K46 burn up sooner or just refuse to move me up a 10 % hill? If it wonÂt do the job at all, I need to look to the CC.

2. The May 07 ConsumerÂs Reports says that the X300 requires a blade change to bag. I havenÂt seen that anywhere else. Does anyone know for sure?

3. WhatÂs the advantage of 22"wheels vs. the 20"wheels? Is itÂs just comfort or do larger wheels affect traction on hills?

Thank You

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions