SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mntneer540

any advice.....please on new tractor

mntneer540
13 years ago

Well I am about to pull the trigger on a brand new mower. I have owned a few used mowers and haven't spent more than 200 a piece on them. The problem is I haven't been able to walk outside start my mower and mow, its always something. So here is my question, advice seeking, reaffirmation, permission seeking, whatever you want to call it.

My Lawn: 1 acre slopes in the back, not terrible. No problems with a 15 year old craftsman or a 12 year old wheelhorse. Garden, playground, and 4 trees to mow around. I use my mower for aerating, spraying, spreading only. No snow removal or heavier stuff.

My options: Like the x300 but to expensive or so I feel and maybe to much tractor for my needs. The 100 series I hear is not up to quality of the rest of the JD line and the JD dealers won't negotiate. I started looking at the simplicity line and fell in love with the free floating deck. I thought the too may be to expensive but a local dealer has a regent 46" deck, 23 HP Kohler single cylinder overhead valve (not to much knowledge on engines though I have read the kohler, in some opinions, may be better than the BS engines).

2 year warranty at a cash price of 2690.00.

So with that said any advice? good deal? ok deal? bad deal? concerns about the engine? like I said I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger but after using this forum to learn how to fix my two other mowers I know there is a lot of knowledge here and a lot of opinions, so I would love to hear anything anyone thinks would be helpful ( like am I posting in the right place also?)

final question is about the transmission. I have now been reading that the k46 is the bottom line transmission they make, so now I'm worried this 2690 dollar machine will wear out on my lawn, but should i be? I mean in this price range can I do any better, because I can't go up. Some one mentioned the craftsman has a better transmission but you lose alot elsewhere.

Thanks - A

Comments (8)

Sponsored