SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve1young

Perennial Bed Edging

steve1young
12 years ago

Hey All,

I really like the look of garden beds that are edged in low dry-stacked stone walls. And, I really like building them too. It's fun.

If I'm creating curved walls I usually lay out a garden hose to finalize the exact design. I find that if the hose has water pressure in it, it works a lot better.

I order flats of dry stack wall stone and build the walls about 4-5 inches tall along the edge of the beds. I keep the depth of the walls at about 6 inches and I stack the stones so that they overlap from layer to layer and so the front edge is smooth along the edge line.

That stone outline really gives a punch to beds with soft flowing curves and I like the way plants like Phlox subulata and other creepers crawl over them and how other plants like ornamental grasses and hostas overhang them a bit.

Plus, it's so easy to use a string trimmer along them and then mow. Granted, the expense is a drag, but they do last forever.

However, in full sun areas where the grass is more aggressive, I find that the grass has a tendency to run under the wall and into the beds. I was thinking of using a Rubber Pond Liner-like product to run vertically about 4 inches down into the soil along the outside edge of the wall to create a barrier underneath the wall between the grass and the garden bed. I would then fold this rubber barrier so that it also runs flat underneath the stone wall. I hope that makes sense.

Have any of you folks done something like this? I know a lot of us have a lot of different ways of edging beds and everyone has their own preference. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also wondering what kind of product to use. I was thinking of something similar to a pond-liner. It doesn't have to be quite as thick as a regular pond liner, but I'm looking for flexibility and durability as it will be in contact with soil for hopefully 30+ years or so. If cost were no object, I'd simply use pond liner and I'll probably start with pond liner scraps I already have.

I'm thinking that a Roofing Underlayment or an Ice & Water Shield might fit the bill.

I've tried placing a row of bricks underneath the wall, but the grass inevitably grows between the bricks and even over the bricks between the bricks and the stone. It always seems to find a way.

Again, any suggestions/inputs/ideas are greatly appreciated.

Steve

Comments (12)