SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike_in_new_orleans

Chilli Thrips: did this winter's freeze kill them off?

I don't know if anyone can answer this question just yet, but I thought I would put it out there.

Last year, I had my first encounter with an awful invader to the area. Apparently most rose gardeners around New Orleans also did. Nothing local seemed to go after them, and they did tremendous damage to my roses until I found an effective chemical intervention--spinosad. It did the trick, but I used it every other week through the fall and winter until the freezing temps came. This was our coldest winter in several years. I heard somewhere that the hard freezes might have killed off the Chilli Thrips. Does anyone have any info about that theory? I haven't resorted yet this year to spraying insecticides again, but I'm watching the plants like a hawk for signs of trouble. The main up-side to the spinosad routine last year was that it seems to have nicely controlled the western flower thrips as well, and I was able to stop spraying flower buds with anything else.

My suspicion is that somewhere out there some chilli thrips survived, and it may just be a matter of time until they repopulate. What do you all think?

Mike

Comments (6)