SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Be careful when you dig

sherryocala
15 years ago

Near your TV cable line, especially if you have cable telephone. In order to fix it they have to replace the whole thing rather than splice it. Mine runs right through the rose bed naturally - well, two of them. When I dug the bed, I covered the cable with a pvc pipe so it wouldn't get damaged by my digging, but this weekend I was digging grass out of my front circle, and you know how when you're digging away, your head is down and you can't see anything but the patch of ground around your shovel? Well, I totally lost track of where I was, and thinking I was hitting a rock, I really slammed that shovel - about 6 times. I could actually count the slices in the cable. I've done this once before at our last house, so I knew to run in the house and ask "Got cable?" The answer, of course, was no along with no internet and no telephone. DH called the cable company and came out and told me it would be 2 to 3 days and a thousand dollars. "What??!!", I said. "Joke!!", he said. That was Saturday; no one came. But the man came this morning and ran a temporary wire but said they'd have to come and run a new line under the driveway all the way to the house. That meant between my tightly planted roses. So I thought I'd dig it out today and, hopefully, do less damage than the cable man. Well, now that it's dug through tons of rose roots (BTW, do grubs eat rose roots? DH suggested maybe they're eating the horse manure), I'm afraid the exposure is going to really damage the roses. I sure hope they come tomorrow. I wet the ground real well and put weed cloth in the trench to shade it and the bare roots...well, I just went out and put a bath towel in the trench and soaked it with water. Hopefully, they'll be OK until the cable guy gets here.

In the meantime my gravel project is on hold. And I guess it's a good thing. I needed a rest really bad.

{{gwi:255860}}

The cut is at the bottom left of the next photo.

{{gwi:255861}}

Sometimes I could just kick myself! I think this is by far my worst mess-up. So watch out! Make sure you know where you are! And keep your fingers crossed that the cable guy says "No charge!"

Sherry

Comments (14)