SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Uh oh, Rose du Roi pouting after being moved

kristimama
12 years ago

Hi all,

I know there's nothing you can offer me but moral support, but I had to transplant a Rose du Roi from a 5-gallon terra cotta pot into a much larger container. (Had to move it because it was fairly rootbound, and was suffering between waterings.) It's a rose I inherited from my mom, and she had it planted in a mix of native soil and compost, and the roots were fairly hard to extract from the pot.

In the end, the final pull from the pot snapped a bunch of the larger roots (and the taproot), and it also left behind a lot of the little white hair-like feeder roots.

It needed to be done, to get it into better long-term container planting mix with better drainage, and also to put it into something significantly larger.

But right now, the poor rose has already started pouting, with whole canes flopping down and drooping. I'm going to keep it in the shade for a couple weeks. I did this last year to one of her Souvenir de La Malmaisons where half of the taproot got snapped off... and the thing rebounded beautifully, so maybe this will too.)

In the end, I know this needed to be done, and I know there's probably a 50-50 chance of losing this rose, but I sure hope it survives. It is one of my favorite roses.

-kmama

Comments (7)