SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marineguy_gw

Deere Piranha 44M deck

marineguy
16 years ago

I just bought a 44M Piranha deck for my GT225 and am amazed. I can't believe this deck has never been mentioned in this forum. I decided to post a review / buying experience of sorts so others can reference it in the future.

My GT came with the 42C deck, which I used either for side-discharge or non-powerflo collection. Either method spewed massive amounts of pollen into the air which left me looking like I'd been pepper-sprayed after cutting the grass in dry conditions (serious allergies). That was the main reason for looking at a dedicated mulching deck--it was either that or wear my gas mask while mowing. I hadn't been impressed with the "mulch plug" conversions I'd used in the past, so I wanted to go with a deck which was specifically made for mulching. I'm keeping the 42C/bagger combination for cleaning up leaves and post-hurricane debris (and spring de-thatching). I'm a huge buy-used garden equipment guy. I'd seen a few 42M decks go for $400+ used on eBay, and $600 new old stock. I wasn't really excited about getting another 42" deck and I also didn't think I'd like the lack of rear anti-scalp (gage) wheels. As luck would have it, I came across a 44M deck, NOS, for sale at a Deere dealer in Northern California. 44M? What the heck is that? Nothing on Deere's website. It wasn't even listed as an optional deck for my GT225. I did find an IPB which at least showed me the nuts and bolts of it--literally. The best source of information ended up being the US patent website:

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7146791-description.html

It actually is a convertible mower of sorts, converting from a hard-core mulching mower (this thing has six blades, stacked in pairs) with a slight rear discharge, to a standard rear-discharge deck (with a different chute). Either way, it shoots the clippings out between the tires, so the chances of turning through a dust cloud is pretty slim. Plus you can trim on both sides.

The deck in California looked great (it was unused, bought two years ago for a customer who cancelled it and then bought a new tractor instead). But I knew the shipping (LTL) would be substantial, so I inquired with my local dealer to see what this great invention retails for: $850. I asked about the 42M, just to see; it's no longer in production, but they could build one for around the same price. If the eBay deal fell through, I'd probably have purchased a new 44M, but with the chance to save money, I called up the guys at Valley Truck and Tractor, Yuba City, CA, and got some info on the deck. What a great sales staff. Everyone I talked to was very helpful. Mike assured me it would fit on my tractor. I also found the following JD service flyer which confirmed it:

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/featbene/fb_MaintSheet_gt225_44MdeckLawnTractor.pdf

I won the auction, as the sole bidder, for $200. UPS Freight LTL shipping was $160 to the terminal 30 minutes from my home. I spent $15 on gas. So for less than half price, I attained a brand new 44M mower which perfectly suits my needs.

One thing I always hated about the 42C (and the 38" deck) was the three-wheel setup. I never could fine tune the 42C deck to my satisfaction. I usually cut with the deck floating on the gage wheels. Since I cut my grass at 0.5" early in the season, and 1 to 1.5" late summer, if the deck dips 3/8" it will scalp. Having four wheels is way better than three for this kind of mowing. I cut it so low yesterday, the bolts which hold on the rear mulch discharge chute and stick out about 1/4" below the sheetmetal, actually scratched my turf in a few places. I need to swap them out with some carriage bolts or round-head screws to rectify the problem.

I can see why customers would be hesitant to order a new tractor with this deck, since it limits your options. But for what it's designed, it does very well. If you did happen to come across a late model GT (or GX, LX, 245, 265, 325) for sale with a Pirahna deck, you can pick up a 42C deck for heavy-mowing backup (after returning from vacations, etc) for under $200 on eBay.

Here is a link that might be useful: piranha deck

Comments (19)

Sponsored