SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandy02256

using triple layers of inflated plastic on hoophouse?

sandy0225
15 years ago

I was kicking over some ideas of saving some money on my 20X20 greenhouse that I keep heated to 55 degrees all winter to overwinter my tropicals, and hanging baskets that I use for starters in the spring. We heat it with LP gas, or maybe just burn dollar bills in a pile on the floor this year (LOL)

I currently use a double layer of inflated plastic, with a shadecloth 35% over the top. I kept that shade cloth on all winter last year and didn't need to water things much.

But this year I was thinking of pulling off all the plastic, putting a layer of the infared inside for the inner layer, then putting the other two layers back over the top, with my inflation fan blowing air between each layer. That would give 2 layers of dead air space which should insulate better, right?

I know my wiggle wire channel will hold on three layers, because it's holding 2 layers plastic + 1 layer shade cloth now. And it held all last winter through the wind, etc.

Has anyone ever run 3 layers of plastic like that though the winter and did it save money? It seems like the two dead air spaces would have to save heat vs one dead air space.

I do know if we got a heavy snowfall, it'd have to be deflated to let the heat go through to melt the snow on top.But you have to do that even with 2 layers plastic.

Please let me know your opinions/experience with this.

Comments (6)