SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cousinfloyd

adding value alongside saw timber crop trees

cousinfloyd
10 years ago

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday who's a forester, and he told me that when an acre of forest is cut most of the timber value generally comes from just 25% of the trees, and that the other 75% mostly just goes to low value uses like pulpwood. He said if I wanted to do a "crop tree release" before the timber is mature, a forester might try to select 75 crop trees per acre but often there won't even be that many and so one might only "release" 50 trees. He said that's 50-75 crop trees/acre out of 230-250 total trees/acre that would eventually mature. The other 155-200 trees never realize much value on a per tree basis. So my question is how can I as a small-scale (20 acres of forest) land owner that's willing to do things that wouldn't be economical on a commercial scale get my forest to do more? Is there really no way around growing those 155-200 low value trees per acre? What got me thinking about this is that I recently cut down a couple ~18" diameter beech trees in the middle of the woods that with the big crowns that beech trees have left noticeable little clearings. I know the surrounding trees will close the canopy to some degree, but I was wondering if I could plant something in the middle of the clearing that could do any good, either a fast-growing tree that could take advantage of the temporary clearing to shoot up into the canopy where it could then compete for sunlight, or something that could provide some value to me while simply tolerating the increasing shade (like a fruiting understory tree or some other use presumably other than timber.)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!