SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

self sterile equals (no pollinator needed)?

katrina1
16 years ago

On the Greenwood nursery website they are offering bare root, 'Viva' Sweet Cherry trees. They list this tree with the following bulleted facts

Harvest: Early

Pollination: Self sterile (no pollinator needed)

Mature Height: 30'

Chill Requirement:700

Uses: Fresh

I am confused though, because I found lots of information indicating that a cherry tree classified as being self sterile to mean that it does need a companion planting of a different class of sweet cherry tree cultivar before, once pollinated by bees, it could bare fruit.

Farther down on the Greenwood nursery site there is listed a general statement; indicating that the sweet cherry trees need a different cherry tree as pollinator. They also stated that tart cherry trees were self fertile. As a result I ignorantly also ordered a 'NorthStar' tart cherry tree, because I also wanted to grow a tart cherry tree and thought it could be the needed pollinator of the sweet cherry 'Viva' that I ordered. A little later though, I did further research and found specific information that the tart cherry 'NorthStar' ripens on July 26th in one area of the country, and that was way to late for the bees to have pollinated the July 4th ripening 'Viva' cherry tree.

I emailed Greenwood nursery in an effort to clear up my confusion. Their response to me was that the 'Viva' cherry tree does not need a different cherry tree for pollination.

After getting that response, I did more research today and have found lists of the different classes of sweet Cherry trees. Those lists indicated that 'Viva' cherry trees are not incompatable with other sweet cherry cultivars. Some of the sites even listed that 'Viva' cherry is only incompatable with itself.

I also found sites which state that the 'Stella' cherry tree is the only, commonly sold, self fruitful sweet cherry tree.

Now I am even more confused. Is Geenwood's claim correct or not when they claim that a 'Viva' cultivar cherry tree needs no additonal pollinator sweet cherry tree?

Comments (8)