SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alieliza

Greenhouse, winter, etc.

alieliza
16 years ago

I am in zone 7, Brooklyn, NY.

I've been debating over whether or not to bring my pepper plants inside for the winter. I've had pretty good luck with Cayenne, Jalapeno, Italian Frying, Bell, and Sweet Banana peppers. I understand that peppers (and other veggies) are generally grown as annuals, but I also know that if I am able to keep the plants, that next year they will produce more peppers, as the plants will be bigger, older, etc.

I don't have much space inside, nor do I have very many sunny windows.

My boyfriend is a carpenter by trade, and suggested that he build me a small greenhouse to keep my plants throughout the winter, and to use year round.

The structure would have a wood frame, and we would likely use a strong plastic as the insulation/walls/roof etc. We would put vents that open and close, use an electric heater and thermostat for tempeature control, use fans, etc. It would not be a structure that costs much to build or keep, but that would have what we need to be successful.

This would work, right? To keep my plants over the winter in a heated, vented, enclosed structure?

What is the lowest temp. that things like peppers, mint, lavender (all in containers) can handle in order to stay alive over the winter? I understand that perennials like mint and lavender can stay outside, but I don't want to lose them because they are in containers. Also, the mint is very small.

Sorry to ramble, but any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (2)