SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Results of different types of fertilizers

strawchicago z5
11 years ago

Before I set up my experiment this summer and buy the low-salt SOLUBLE 2-20-20 from Kelp4less.com .... I researched on previous experiments:

1) one done by a hydroponic lettuce grower shown on YouTube. He compared the following SOLUBLE fertilizers on hydroponic lettuce's root & leaves growth:

a) Masterblend 20-18-38 with added calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt)

b) Base MiracleGro soluble fertilizer NPK of 24-8-16

c) Tomato MiracleGro soluble fertilizer NPK of 18-18-21
d) Jack professional soluble NPK 20-20-20

His Masterblend NPK 20-18-38 produced the most leaf and root-growth, thanks to high potassium and added calcium nitrate plus magnesium sulfate.

Next is tomato fertilizer NPK of 18-18-21, lesser result with root growth is base MiracleGro 24-8-16, and least is Jack professional soluble.

If you google "comparing soluble fertilizers" you'll see the YouTube. Another experiment is done by Ohio Link NTD center on New Guinea impatient flowers. It was darn-hard to read. I recap their result below:

Peters-water-soluble 20-4.4-16

Daniels-soybean-base 10-1.8-2.5

Osmocote 3-month release 15-4-10

5-month slow-release 15-4-10

The best performance is Peters-water-soluble (highest potassium). The worst performance is organic soybean base. The most leaching of Nitrogen is Osmocote.

Highest leaching of P (phosphorus) and Ca (calcium) occurs at temp. above 64.4 Fahrenheit (18 Celsius).

The above is the logic for the YouTube guy who used high-potassium Masterblend NPK of 20-18-38, plus added calcium nitrate.

What can we draw from the above data: fertilizers for tomato is better than fertilizers for roses .... you'll get more potassium for overall plant heath and to balance out the salt of the fertilizer. Calcium nitrate is also useful to balance out the salt index of nitrogen. I can't find any data that support the use of Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate).

I dumped horse manure on my New Guinea impatient one summer and got the most vibrant colors and biggest blooms (from the potassium in horse manure). Massachusetts University research with marigolds also showed worst result with alfalfa meal (NPK of 2-1-2), versus biggest bloom with much higher potassium chemical fertilizer.

See link below for Ohio State University Horticulture study on Impatient flowers and different fertilizers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ohio State University and study of fertilizers

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County