SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tbriggs6

JD X320 Weak Performance or defective?

tbriggs6
17 years ago

Question: How does one tell if there is a problem with the transmission on a tractor or by design it isn't able to meet the demands I'm placing on it? As a follow up, how should i couch my arguments to the dealer if there is something wrong so I don't get taken?

The Story:

I am new to "big mowing" and decent tractors. We recently moved to a home with 2.5 acres of lawn to mow, and my Yard Man/MTD tractor literally fell apart after three mows. I bought a JD X320 tractor and was pretty happy with it, although it seemed to slow down quite a bit when going up hills. I use it to mow and to haul around a light-duty dump trailer I picked up at Lowes, usually with tools, and some yard debris, and (I know its not safe), but a kid or two.

A few weeks ago I rented a lime spreader from the rental center used the X320 to spread lime. I absolutely did not have enough power to pull the spreader, even when it was empty. The X320 would move along the flat spots just fine (and pretty fast too), but as soon as I would hit even a slight incline the transmission would start whining and the tractor would slow down to a standstill. The engine just purred demurely and never gave any auditory clues of even working harder than it does at idle.

This weekend I wanted to mow for the first time. I picked up the JD dealer recommended powerflow bagger system and installed it (hoping the bagger will cut down on the dust that makes my allergies crazy). As I started mowing I realized that even with the bags empty the tractor seemed sluggish and overloaded. Going up hills was nearly impossible. There are two bags, and even with just one bag filled, the mower seemed to struggling. Same situation, the engine was just purring along while the transmission started whining.

I am hoping that the transmission has a problem and that it isn't that the JD X320 is just not up to the task.

Comments (31)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions