SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ggschmerl

contemplating cold frame vs indoors under lights

ggschmerl
18 years ago

I hope this is the correct place to post my question. I live in Michigan, Zone 5.

I am trying to determine the best way to go about growing/overwintering rooted rose cuttings. Typically I have done it in my basement under lights, but with the number of cuttings I plan to have rooted by the time cold weather hits, maybe a cold frame of some type would work better. I have very limited space for a cold frame. I do have a huge deck and wondered is there is such a thing as an elevated cold frame? Could you successfully have one on a deck? Or does it need to be on the ground?

Whatever I come up with needs to be able to have the cuttings decent size by next June, preferably budding or in bloom.

I'm open to suggestions. If I grown them under lights, I'm going to have to go out and buy a bunch more, which can get expensive. A friend in North Carolina told me an inexepensive way she built and did it with a cold frame, but she doesn't have the cold weather I do here, so I don't know if it would work, and I'd hate to kill all my cuttings.

Thank you,

Mindy

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor