SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelly922

Magnolia grandiflora

kelly922
13 years ago

I have a north facing spot in a narrow-ish bed (approx. 4' deep by about 25' long) where I have thought about possibly putting an Edith Bogue Magnolia. I know they do fairly well in shade and this area must get some refracted light since the Montauk Daisies there are prolific in the summer time. This spot is also against the front of our garage though & I'm wondering if an Edith Bogue would almost grow into a substantial vine-like specimen there? I've researched so many pictures and attended a lot of garden tours and noticed that many of these magnolias are grown right up against a house, wall or fence. Could it be trained into a viney type plant if encouraged that way by pruning, etc.? I realize this spot already has its own set of challenges but it's the front of the house and I'm trying to find something I can pull away from the house a little (when getting painted), with some winter interest that would smell good. I suppose I could also just let it grow there on its own and it would probably be great too. (I know, I know...I'm asking a lot!) :-) Any advice would be very much appreciated - thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022