SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Where do I begin?

kristimama
16 years ago

Hi all,

Warning... newbie with LOTS of questions. LOL

I am starting to plan my organic veggie garden area.

The plot for planting is about 10'x10'.

It was formerly planted with a plum tree and some scraggly grass, but last year we did a big addition and the already heavy clay soil was even more compacted by big moving and building equipment and then a rainy winter... you can imagine that it's pretty solid now.

I would like to put raised beds there. I know better than to just build some raised beds on that spot without improving the drainage, structure, etc of that underlying soil. But HOW, is what I am trying to learn about.

I've read some gardening books but I think I need to ask real gardeners what they would do.

Is double digging be necessary since I'm ultimately going to plant above it?

I'm hoping we can get away with just tilling in a bunch of organic material, but how deep will we need to till?

What materials should I bring in? My mom says to bring in steer manure and wood chips and let them decompose, but I'll admit I'm a bit freaked out by steer manure because of the risk of eColi.

Should I use the composted wood bark, or new wood chips?

Would you recommend a soil test of that soil since I'm not actually planting into it?

Also, I don't know the history of the house, not to mention we've had a couple rounds of remodels. If I were worried about issues like Lead or other metals in the topsoil, what measures would I need to remove it, or how high would I have to plant above it to make sure no lead leached into my food.

My timeline is: I hope to get the soil amended and tilled by summer, and spend some time this summer or fall building the boxes.

Then, once the boxes are framed, what do I put INTO them? Sorry if that makes me sound blonde, LOL, but I have been doing lots of reading over at the container forum... and I guess I don't know if raised bed soil is really a "container" mix or soil, or some hybrid of that.

I think my mom plants in straight compost and loves the stuff... but I don't have my composting set up yet, so no matter what I put in there, I have to buy it.

Ugh... so much to do. But I can't wait.

Any suggestions where to start?

Any good gardening programs in Contra Costa County that can teach me about organic gardening from the start?

Thanks!

Comments (3)