SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newjersey_rose

What's Your Favorite Unheard of Rose?

newjersey_rose
16 years ago

You know.....the rose that you got on a whim and turned out to be fantastic and nobody's ever heard of it. Usually from an amateur hybridizer or an old rose long forgotten that you can't believe everyone isn't growing. I'll start.....Eugene de Beauharnais (China, 1836?), Rosemary Rose (parent to Europeana), and Golden Buddha (hybrid Bracteata).

Michael

Comments (50)

• jerijen
    16 years ago

"Grandmother's Hat" (Found; HP?? Early HT?? Unk. Date)
    "Secret Garden Musk Climber" (Found; Hybrid moschata, Unk. Date)
    "Old Town Novato" (Found; HP? Unk. Date)
    "Forest Ranch Purple Pom-Pom" (Found, Damask Perpetual?, Date Unk)
    "Setzer Noisette" (Found, Noisette, Unk Date, to 1700's)

Jeri

• williamcartwright
    16 years ago

"Secret Garden Musk Climber" (thanks to Jeri and the late and beloved Mel Hulse)
    "Louise Ave White HT" (again thanks to Jeri...a "technically" Hybrid Tea with blooms that resemble a cross between Sombreuil and SDML)
    "Hoag House Cream" (a found HT with creamy white old fashioned blooms...heathy here. From Vintage Gardens).
    "St Helena Cemetery Very Double White HT" (see above)
    'Madame Alfred de Rougemont' (a yet unproven...but very exciting Hybrid Noisette/Bourbon rose, that has me filled with great hopes. Again from Vintage Gardens).

• Related Discussions

What is your favorite rose to show at a rose show?

Q

Comments (2)
    I love pink rose. Pink is basically very beutiful color, so pink roses look really ausome. Here is a link that might be useful: http://c.1asphost.com/Sanganagouda/forum/
    ...See More

What is your favorite mail-order source for roses? Preferably own-root

Q

Comments (109)
    UPDATE for 2024: High Country Roses add lots of Autin own-roots to their inventory (sold out to those who ordered early): Jude the Obscure, The Prince, Ambridge Rose, Abraham Darby, W.S. 2000, Othello, Carding Mill, Sophy's Rose, Evelyn, The Dark Lady, Wise Portia, Charles Darwin, Emanuel, Sharifa Asma, Charles Austin, Eglantyne, Lucettta, Molineux, Graham Thomas, Tamora, Noble Antony, Benjamin Britten, Gertrude Jekyll, Mary Rose, Heritage, Tess of d'Urberville and many others. I got my W.S. 2000 from High Country Roses back in 2011. I should had ordered from High Country Roses back in Nov. 2023, it's only $23.95 per own-root Austin. High Country Roses in CO now ships roses to Canada.
    ...See More

What are your favorite tea roses?

Q

Comments (65)
    Erasmus, I am thinking about Mme Berkeley, zone 7, I was surprized to see zone 7 since I am supposed to buy zone 6. I think I will try it this year anyway, but plant it near home side as it is warmer and w/flowers next to it. I found the extra flower foliage and home side is lots warmer than other parts of my yard. I will use burlap in winter to keep M Berkeley warm. Thanks for the cautionary note. I grew tomatoes, strawberries, and 2 climbers (Eden/Zepherine Drouhin that were only 6 inches tall in that spot over winter and my butterfly bush covered them... keeping warm during winter and in spring Eden had a first bloom on a 12 inch stem. In spring I then transplanted them to larger more permanent spots on house side and they are now 3 ft. The strawberries are still growing green now a Foot of snow melted off of them on this side, best in my yard! . The tomato vine on the side of home came back... I tried transplanting it elsewhere. But didn’t get it all out and it came back again each year-funny. Aren’t they supposed to die! Lol! This side of my home has many roses and they are so robust-stronger than all my other roses so far. I have a rose Tree “Wedding Dress” w/ mini blooms that blooms abundantly-tons, and I don’t protect it for winter at all. Tree roses often die in my cold weather unless you protect the trunks and minis die too-too delicate sometimes. It’s the Magic side of my yard where anythinggrows and flourishes! Soil is really good on that side of home... thick w/ amendments and mulch, too.... I’m going to add more soil amendments to all beds to make it more like that side of home-hoping for better results all around my rose gardens.
    ...See More

What are your favorite rose gloves

Q

Comments (7)
    This got me thinking about getting a pair for my sister for Christmas. I went on Amazon and found a twofer on gauntlets. We will see how the fend off thorns.
    ...See More
  • prairie-rose
    16 years ago

It's not exotic, historic, or "unheard of", but I almost never see it mentioned anywhere: Aspirin Rose (also goes by "Glacier Magic"--that's what it was called when I bought it at Menards, a Midwest hardware store chain). I have four, and they are some of the toughest, hardiest, bloomin'est roses around. They sort of grow like Knockout-type shrubs (about 3-4 ft, vigorous and bushy), are fairly disease-resistant, and the little blush/white blooms are nonstop and very pretty--remind me of little gardenias. It bounces back great after winter--usually my most cane-hardy. I've seen it listed online and in my Rose Encyclopedia as a groundcover rose, but it's not sprawly at all for me. Only complaint is it's non-smelly, and there's often pink botrytis spots marring my blooms. I have never seen anyone growing them, anywhere, and I never see it online either--weird, for such a champ of a landscape rose.

• farmgirl
    16 years ago

Pinocchio: great little FL that puts out one-stem bouquets. The Roseanne Rose: awesome deep red HT, very fragrant and disease resistant.

• seil zone 6b MI
    16 years ago

Farmgirl got mine, Pinocchio.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    16 years ago

Roses I really like that aren't talked about a lot;

Cotillion
    Flaming peace
    Gina lollobrigida
    Irish créme

• bethnorcal9
    16 years ago

Oh so many to choose from.... Right off the top of my head I'd have to say ALMOST SUNSET. It's a J&P test rose from 1994 or 95 that never got marketed here in the US. It's grown "down under." Gorgeous yellow-orange blend bred from HELLO DOLLY, which is another rarely seen rose, that I almost snagged from Hortico this season... but the UPS people lost my package when it entered the US, and then Hortico ran out of it!

Hey Carol... my ROSEANNE has RMV. It burns off by the time summer hits tho. I love those deep dark burgundy blooms!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    16 years ago

Secret Garden Noisette - a very good rose that's been vastly eclipsed by Secret Garden Musk Climber

Cottage Rose - an older Austin that's not mentioned often any more but has a charming old rose feel.

Heinrich Karsch - a cute purple polyantha that I recently acquired and had never heard of.

Ingrid

• chuck_billie
    16 years ago

Maggie-Found in La. cemetary, just a beautiful rose from Chamblee or ARE.
    Nacatoshous Noisette-Another foound rose from La.
    Lili Marlene-Floribunda from Vintage
    Halloween-Very nice HT you can get at more and more places these days
    Chief Seattle-Lovely yellow blend HT from Vintage.
    I'm sure there are more I'll end up growing in the coming years.

• rjlinva
    16 years ago

Shailer's Provence. I love this rose. I found it in an old graveyard and took some cuttings. It does sucker, so I have copies to give away to friends regularly.

The Bishop...wow..what a gorgeous purple healthy rose.

Russeliana...this is a super vigorous and floriferous rose for me. I just love it.

Prairie-rose...I have a Glacier Magic in my yard. I'd love to get another and put it in a sunnier spot, but it is a lovely rose!

Robert

• donnaz5
    16 years ago

rjlinva ...is your Shailer's Provence a once bloomer? hmf
    doesn't say...
    beth..what did you mean when you said rmv "burns off"??? i've never heard that term???
    and..in keeping with the thread..i just love wimi..it's a hybrid tea..the blooms are as big as my hand, so fragrant, and oh..the color! it has it all..i am in love with this rose!!

• sherryocala
    16 years ago

Burgundy Iceberg! I have it in a big pot because it's grafted on something not Fortuniana. It was big and loaded with gorgeous, dramatic flowers when I got it. Now it's got lots of new growth - and NO black spot. Just beautiful shiney green leaves. Nothing like my original Iceberg which keeps BS all the time. I'm gonna love this plant!!!

Sherry

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    16 years ago

Will Henry, sport of Playboy
    Coffee Country - pinky, mauvy, brown - lovely color!
    Oliver Rollinger - pale pink single with darker pink edging
    Vesper - deep apricot/peach
    Sunny Delight - dark yellow Walmart rose, non fading
    Meredith Bohls - peach
    Lillian - orange, yellow, peach
    Walferdange - pink musk
    Meteor - frangrant fushia musk

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Most Unusual Day. Still small, but I'm, going to baby this baby for as long as I can.

Attache. I really miss Carlton Roses.

• littlesmokie
    16 years ago

Pernille Hit. I received this from a fellow forum member when she was moving (thank you Erica!)

I believe she purchased it as a grocery store miniature from Trader Joes.

This rose is a gorgeous apricot color, the bush stays under 2.5 feet, the individual blooms lasts weeks on the bush and hold their color well (and do not age pink like so many orange/apricot roses do.) It is the only rose I grow that has zero fragrance-its only flaw in my book.

If you love apricot roses and ever see it for sale, BUY IT!

Dawn

PS The photos on helpmefind do NOT do it justice, I need to take some photos and add them. It also says it has a "wild rose" fragrance. I have a very sensitive sense of smell and this rose has NO fragrance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pernille Hit

• mgleason56
    16 years ago

Everyone who's ever read any of my posts on this know my man-love for Acapella, so I'll skip that this time;

Corpus Christi - HT 1985 Real tall disease resistant DR rose that just was never popular. One of my better red HT's

Claude Monet - pink striped HT from 1992 which was only commercially produced in Europe. Very beautiful blooms.

Alter Ego - 1999 HT. Cherry red with silver reverse. I agree Diane! I miss Carltons also.

• sam0ny4b
    16 years ago

Yellowstone national parks rose. It is my first rose and when you by it they donate to the national parks.
    You might know it by its other names.
    Eurostar Â
    Â Marselisborg Castle
    Â POUlreb
    Â Schloss Neuschwanstein Â
    Â Summer Gold Â
    Â Summer Star Â
    Â Summergold

Here is a link that might be useful: Help me Find

• seil zone 6b MI
    16 years ago

I'm not so sure this was a good thread to start here at rosacholics anonymous. I'm finding lots of beautiful roses to add to my already arm and a leg long want list!

• blujen_gw Zone 6b Wichita KS
    16 years ago

Kindness - Loads of pale pink blooms with almost no blackspot, even next to a blackspot MAGNET bush.

Pharaoah - abovementioned blackspot Magnet - but WORTH IT for the perfect dark red blooms

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

Madison--
    A perfect 2 x 3 (tall x wide) shrub.
    Never needs pruning, or deadheading.
    Blooms like mad.
    Perfectly clean for me in my no-spray garden.

Probably one of the best landscape shrubs anyone could have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Madison

• nastarana
    16 years ago

Radio Times, was introduced and then dropped by David Austen. Not no spray, but worth the extra care.

Charmain, an early English Rose, now sold only by Vintage.

English Garden, another early Austen.

Captain Thomas, an early yellow climbing rose. Has disease free, bright green foliage, is about as drought proof as a rose can be, and has charming single yellow flowers fading to pale yellow.

Autumn, a Pernetiana from the 1920s.

• barbarag_happy
    16 years ago

Escapade, a Harkness floribunda which is very graceful inthe garden. I have it between Distant Drums and Lyda Rose. This one's hard to capture in a photograph.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    3 years ago

This is a really old thread I found from googling Sunny Delight, which I saw today at Home Depot.

Alameda, do you still have it?

Carla in Sac

3 years ago

Unfortunately - no. I do still have Oliver Rollinger, Coffee Country, Lillian and Walferdange. It is a lovely rose - cant recall what happened to it. I tried Will Henry and Meridth Bohls, both of which I really liked, were not strong roses and died. Vesper, I love - lost it when I had a new deck built and it had to be moved, would love to find it again.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

@prairie-rose and @rjlinva, do either of you still have Glacier Magic? I've been looking for this rose for ages.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    3 years ago

So should I buy Sunny Delight? I liked the strong yellow color, it even seemed fragrant!
    Carla

• steelrosez9sfbay
    3 years ago

Same for me re: Glacier Magic

Colleen

3 years ago

If you can find Sunny Delight, I think you would like it. I would buy it again if I could find it.

3 years ago

Ben, hard to believe its been 12 yrs. plus. I remember years ago ordering my first roses from J&P in about 1973, making a bed out of railroad ties, putting in who knows what kind of dirt that sprouted weeds galore. 2 I recall having were Smoky and Pristine......I too remember Diggerdave, still have some of his photos. His yard was gorgeous and I have thought several times about him, missed his posts and wondered if he is still around. I miss Karl Bapst......a great rosarian and so enjoyed his posts. Howard Walters used to write a column in the rose magazine.......I still have some old copies with his timeless wisdom in those columns.

I thought about getting Delightful Phyliss........wonder if Chamblees still carries it. Two of my most prized roses are Cl. Peach Silk and Cl. Heavenly Dawn - a rose offered for a year or two by J&P, not even on Helpmefind. Lovely apricot - it blooms in clusters. Babying it along, and hope to have it for many years.

3 years ago

Alameda, have you considered adding it to HMF? It's a shame to loss that knowledge. You are very lucky to have such rarities that do well for you. It's wonderful to have this resource and ability to read the collective knowledge. It's so easily lost, especially the details.

• Ken Wilkinson
    3 years ago

I grow a couple of roses that are pretty hard to come by.

Brinessa. A dusty pink HT that I got from a friend back in 1991.A really great rose that is no longer available.

Lady of the Dawn. Floabunda. A rose that has been in my gardens since 1990. A very soft pink that usually blooms in nice sprays once established.

Crystalline. A pure white HT. One of the best pure white HT's you can buy. Sadly, only 1, maybe 2 nurseries carries it.

Toots. A deep pink Miniflora that jumped across the pond from England. Only available for one year here in the states. This is my 3 yr old bush this spring. I should have blooms to post soon.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Ben - Your Rose Sachet is incredible!! What a great parentage...and the genetics went together in a way to give it the best from both parents. Love it!

Yes, I remember Digger Dave...now that's a man who loved his wife! And of course Karl Bapst! And where is Beth? Has she been here since her fire?

Ken - your roses are so vigorous!!! Beautiful roses!!

• Sharon z8b Texas
    7 months ago

WOW on the Paul Barden rose!!!!!

7 months ago

I have quite a few in this category, but My most recent 1Is Emma June! I really need to add my pictures to HMS. Lovely lovely lovely rose.

https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.83363

• susan9santabarbara
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

It always kills me when these really old threads pop up. I was a regular here from 1998 until maybe ~2007, when I drifted away and spent most of my forum time on my AP Chemistry forum. So that almost pre-dates this thread. When I retired in 2020, I came back, but of course no one remembered me. So many familiar names. "Digger" Dave Boyd used to post all of the time. Anyway... my most favorite unknown roses are:

Bettina, Modern Art, Flora Danica, Westminster Pink, Orange Splash, Orange Sensation, Claude Monet, Butter Cream, and mentioned by others, Rose Rhapsody, Eugene de Beauharnais. There are others, but that's off the top of my head. I lost both Bettina and Modern Art a few years ago, and I'm afraid I'll never find them again. I was able to provide Beth in No. Cal. with two of her rare lost roses after the fire.

• Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    7 months ago

Frances Sims, which is a polyantha bred by Linda Loe. i bought it a couple years back from Long Ago Roses.

7 months ago

Cute! I don't ever remember seeing that 1 on her list. I love polyamus.

• ingrid_vc zone 10 San Diego County
    7 months ago

This thread made me so nostalgic - Digger Dave, Seil, Beth, Sherryocala, Alameda, Nastarana - I wonder where they all are now.

It takes me forever to get through threads like this because I'm compelled to look up so many roses on HMF, don't know why because I doubt I'll ever grow any of them. I love Markay's Frances Sims which I would be interested in growing, but where to find the energy, time, room - so many things aren't possible any more. But I can still look here, look on HMF and learn something new, and look outside at my baby roses, and that makes every day a little special.

Edited: I'm also stoked that a rose that jerijen mentioned here, Grandmother's Hat, is in my garden right now. I love that sort of continuity in the rose world..

• KittyNYz6
    7 months ago

Theirry Marx, a Delbard

First bloom opened

• KittyNYz6
    7 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

I am soecializing in unique roses right now…..

Japanese roses….European roses…. OGRs OGRs…. tough to pick my most fav! My first blooms!

Mikoto, Japanese

Miyabi, Japanese

Yves Splash Charlotte

(Etsy photo below…-to be delivered to me soon this fall…)

Update: Delivered to me yesterday, Sept 28, 2023! Woohoo!

(A relative of Yves Piaget.)

Cartonnage,, Japanese, Etsy photo

(Newly olanted 2 weeks ago)

Royal Palace, Etsy photo, newly planted, Japanese

Yves Rouge de Parfum, Etsy , Japanese, new planted

Pas de Deux, red-fushia, Danish rose

Gloire de Ducher, OGR

Variegatta di Bologna, OGR

Honorine de Brabant, OGR, web photo, too new to bloom yet.

Maybe my most unique favs….but I could post more….. Lol!

You pick?

Domain de Chantilly by Delbard, is newly planted, too…. exquisite peach center, pink petals!

• sautesmom Sacramento
    7 months ago

Kitty

What fragrance do all of them have?

And what's the process for buying Japanese roses?

Carla in Sac

• KittyNYz6
    7 months ago

@sautesmom Sacramento

Each Japanese rose is different for fragrance.

Mikoto, medium fragrance

Miyabi, mild rose scent

Royal Palace, strong fruity fragrance

Yves Splash Charlotte, strong rich rose fragrance.

Cartonnage, mild fragrance

Rouge de Parfum, Strong Damask fragrance

I just find the roses on Etsy and order off the website. Simply click…. Easy!

I also found one if the sellers own websites and ordered from her websire.

The other roses above,,Gloire de Ducher, Jonorine de Brabant, VdB, Pas de Deux and Theirry Marx…checking fragrance… the OGRs have amazing fragrances. Pas de Deux has none. Theirry Marx has a strong citrus fruity rose fragrance.

• Karen Service
    7 months ago

I've not been here as long as the original posters but enjoyed reading this and other things they've had to say over the years. I remember some of these roses too and even have a few myself. Thanks for bringing this back. I also loved hearing from the recent contributors and about their roses. Like Ingrid, it took me awhile to look up all the roses. Anyway, here is my contribution, without photos, unfortunately.

Minis

Yametsu-Hime I think this is my only Japanese rose. It is a tiny mini with a single pink bloom and a white center. The blossoms are nearly continuous and at times nearly obscure the rest of the rose. It is a memorial for our little dog with the Japanese name Yatta (rhymes with hurrah)

Tattooed Daughter- This is a terrific mini. I wish it was more widely available. The flowers are a swirl of bright orange and deep red. It has been a strong plant for a mini but it and all my other minis have been struggling a bit since last winter.

Amber Flash- technically a mini-flora. I've had this so long I can't remember where I got it or how long I've had it. Here it's a light yellow with a soft coral-pink edging. It's supposed to have a strong fragrance but in my garden, if you can lay on your stomach to smell it, it is pleasantly soft.

Smoke Rings- This mini seemed more popular awhile ago but has gotten harder to find. I don't think there's another one like it. It's a smoky orange little mini with a purple overlay.

Petite Peach- Sport of a little landscape rose Oso Easy Petite Pink- I'm so impressed with this pretty little shrub. The blooms are a lovely complex pink-coral-peach that lightens as it ages. There are multiple blooms at once so it's sort of a patchwork of color. The plant is super healthy but I'll see how it makes it through the rollercoaster of winter here.

Polyanthas

Charles Walker's Mignonette- A found rose; I love found roses. This one came from Vintage. It's small even for a polyantha. The full little white roses blush pink in cool weather. They are supposed to be myrrh scented but here they have no scent.

Fair Molly- This is a new one that came as a very small own-root from Freedom Garden last fall. I planted it in the ground and it made it through last year's winter. It's a Ralph Moore rose, a semi-double that blooms in sprays of blushed white. It will be a spreading bush with few thorns, perfect for the front of the border or along a path. Now I wish it would grow more, bloom less.

Lullaby- I wish this one was more well known. An upright grower, mine is over 3 ft. The roses are full petaled and blush pink in cool weather. Mine blooms in flushes with the strongest in spring and fall when they nearly cover the bush. Its fragrance is wonderful.

Tip Top- an unusual little rose that starts out a pale lemon yellow centered rose with carmine edges and matures into a puff of pink and white petals. It has been a strong grower for me but is still coming back from last winter.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    7 months ago

I really like my Dogwood, which reminds me of a white Dainty Bess or a single Jacqueline du Pre. Here it is in November (!) of last year:

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    6 months ago

Her ears must have been burning, because here’s the same rose today :)

6 months ago

It also reminds me of sally homes.

• jacqueline9CA
    6 months ago

I will second Eugene de Beauharnais - we inherited an old, old bush of it, and then discovered that if it is grown in sun (what an idea!), it actually is a rapid repeat bloomer. Love love the color -

Jackie

on lower right: