Houzz Logo Print
btzawrenchn

Craftsman II drive belt sticking / charging problem

btzawrenchn
16 years ago

Craftsman II (1987)

18.5 HP B&S

44" Deck / 6 Spd Trans

When my rider is cold I have no problem stopping or shifting gears, and the drive belt visibly disengages from the engine mounted pully. The problem starts after the engine / belt warm up. When I depress the clutch / brake to shift or stop, the drive belt gets loose, however does not disengage from the engine mounted pully. This makes it impossible to shift and nearly impossible to stop because the transmition pully is still at full speed. The idler pully linked to the clutch / brake pedal moves as it should, the belt just doesn't free from the main engine pully. I have also used a slighty larger belt than recommended with the adjustment pully adjusted to allow the most slack.

Also, the charging system is not functioning properly and the battery discharge light comes on. The stator is at 30 Volts AC (within specs), but the output on the regulator varies between near nothing to 17.4 Volts DC. Does this mean I need to replace the regulator / rectifier, or is there a relay that needs attention? Thanks

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions