SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nevermore44

New Echinaceas

15 years ago

Well, i ended up buying quart sized Echinaceas of Mac & Cheese and the Tomato Soup at one nursery... and then came across a gallon pot of Green Envy at a second nursery. They also had a quart sized second year double decker for cheap ... so i had to grab one of those too. This is birthday gifts going to good use!

The quart sized are obviously just the plugs that the nursery got and replanted... so i won't expect too much this year on the flower side. The Green envy looks semi established though.. so i should get some blooms this year.

At a third nursery they had Mac & Cheese in a gallon pot that had a few blooms in full show. They aren't quite as yellow as the photos show of course... much more orange in them.... but none the less... nice looking and well formed.... no distorted petals or anything.

Comments (70)

• 15 years ago

Do you fertilize your plants? If so, what is the n-p-k?

• 15 years ago

Echinaceamaniac,

Have you heard of any issues with After Midnight?

Thanks,

Teresa

• Related Discussions

Growing new echinaceas from seed?

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Sharlene, The Echinacea varieties you mentioned are 'PPAF'(plant patent applied for) or PP (plant patent). This means that asexual propogation (cuttings, root divisions) are legally prohibited. These varieties are most likely F1 hybrids...so to produce these varieties � given that asexual propagation is not allowed � one MUST buy the seed from the 'owner' of the variety. The plants will probably produce seed, and it might germinate, but will likely not resemble it's parent. Seeds produced by an F1 hybrid (F2 � or the second generation of offspring from the intentional cross that created the F1) when grown out typically express a wide variety of traits. I say, go for it. If they make seed, grow it out and start your own selecting! Who knows...after a few generations you may have a beautiful, stable 'Sharlene's Secret' echinacea! hope this helps, winston
    ...See More

Growing the new echinaceas from seed?

Q

Comments (10)
    Named forms of Echinacea hybrida ARE propagated by tissue culture and seeds will not come true to form. It is nothing to collect seeds from various selections of hybrida and sell over the Internet but there is no guarantee any of them will look anything like the parent plant. 'Cheyenne Spirit' is a seed strain rather than a named cultivar, therefore the wide range of coloring available. The others named - Pow Wow, Bravado, Primadonna - are all cultivars of Echinacea purpurea which should come true to form. In addition to all the named hybrida cultivars being propagated by TC, most are patented plants as well, which restricts any propagation by asexual means. Oddly, many patented plants tend also to have sterile seeds so that asexual propagation is the only viable method :-) And as many of them are hybrids as well, replication to look just like the parent can only be done clonaly.
    ...See More

New echinacea cultivar: PowWow white pic

Q

Comments (2)
    I think the consensus has been over the past few years that PWWhite and PWWildberry are the exception to all the poor introductions we have seen. That is. hardy with lots of flowers, on lots of basal growth.
    ...See More

Hot new echinacea

Q

Comments (3)
    Yes, this looks very cool. It's from Macro van Noort. To see a video of this one and others from him, check out my blog below. Here is a link that might be useful: New Plants from Marco van Noort
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

Teresa,

I have had better results with After Midnight than the other new Echinaceas. I recommend a location with shade in the afternoon. I put an After Midnight such a location last year and it is already larger than the original plant I took the cutting from!

Thanks!

• 15 years ago

mayhem69, N=nitrogen, P=phosphorus, and K=potassium all important for healthy plants.

• 15 years ago

Thanks Echinaceamaniac. I may succumb and buy one tomorrow. Right now, I am feeling a little hesitant to buy any of the new echinaceas. I saw another post about disappointments with Ruby Star, which I just planted. Ruby Star has been around for quite awhile so it surprised me that it had issues.

Does it seem that only one of the new hybridizers has issues with distorted flowers (Sundown and Sunrise)?

Teresa

• 14 years ago

Teresa,

I haven't seen the distorted petals in After Midnight. It's always Sunrise, Sundown, Sunset or Harvest Moon. Tiki Torch had a few of the petals, but it was more random. These new coneflowers seem to like less sun exposure than the old fashioned, regular coneflowers. At least here in Tennessee. Our summers are very hot and humid. This could be the reason. All I know is they are doing much better in my new coneflower bed with afternoon shade. You can learn a lot by planting them in different locations. I always take a division and plant it in both my sunny garden and my part shade garden.

• 14 years ago

Ech,
    Friends of mine had plants of Sunset, Sundown, Sunrise, and Harvest Moon and gathered seeds for me to winter sow this past winter. (Notice the word 'had'...) Some have sprouted, but not many. What has sprouted however is nice and strong. I know I may not get the original plant look-a-like, but you never know...

• 14 years ago

tiffy,

I've planted seeds of all mine too. LOL. They are much nicer plants than their parents. I have one with very dark blooms, almost black! I will post photos later.

• 14 years ago

There is a new double orange echinacea coming out it looks like hot papaya in bright orange ! It is Hot! It is by Arie Blom called Marmalade!I will post a pic of it soon!

• 14 years ago

Thanks kyle72. I like his plants. His always perform well in my garden! He may be the best Echinacea guy around. The others are producing mutant garbage!

• 14 years ago

Ech,

Nice to know!! They did all sprout later than other echinaceas but they are strong just the same.

I did purchase a Sunset a couple of years ago. That silly thing is still trying to grow but it looks awefully pitiful!!

• 14 years ago

I just brought home 3 E. 'Crazy Pink'. It will be interesting to see how they do. I want to try 'Midnight Wine' also. They're growing very well for a friend,

• 14 years ago

I planted seeds of Hula Dancer too! I can't wait to see it.

• 14 years ago

let's try this again
    magnus i bought today for $8.99
    [IMG]http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv344/mayhem69/P6050074.jpg[/IMG]

• 14 years ago

nevermore44 -

I am in SW Ohio and I can't get Tiki Torch to grow worth a darn! And I work at a greenhouse! One didn't overwinter and the other has about three leaves. What's your secret?

I have no problems with Coconut Lime, Pink Double Decker, Harvest Moon, Raspberry Tart etc. But TT just doesn't want to grow. And now I can't even find any places around here selling it.

• 14 years ago

No secret... just luck of the draw i assume. It gets full sun. The soil is a mix of cruddy fill dirt from when the house was built and a mix of compost. And then in the fall i had thrown a in or so of aged horse manure over all the flower begs. So it stays pretty dry i assume. No fert.

I just saw some at a local nursery that were in gallon pots.. but only had a handful of small leaves... so they too didn't carry over from last year too well.

• 14 years ago

echinaceamaniac - where to you buy the Clonex gel? Thanks.

• 14 years ago

I bought it at Amazon.com. You can get some called Olivia's that is good too Look at the ingredients and get the one with the best price.

• 14 years ago

just as a quick update of the Mac & Cheese and Tomato soup that i bought a month back. The M&C has now out grown the TS. It does get a bit more sun since it is on the edge of a flower bed.. but it has 3 growth points and the one has the flower stalk almost a foot tall with 4 buds forming.

The TS has the same amount of growths.. and has a single flower stalk with a single flower... overall a bit smaller then the M&C... though still healthy.

I will try to take some pics this weekend.

• 14 years ago

Well, I just succumbed to After Midnight. This plant looks good and sturdy. Want more, lol!

• 14 years ago

My After Midnight are doing superb! They will probably start to flower next week. I am going to pick up my Tiki Torch tomorrow, yeah!

• 14 years ago

That's great to hear!!

• 14 years ago

I have Sundown, Sunrise and Harvest Moon, about 18 plants in total of that particular growers. All came back this year but about 6 of them peeked out, started to grow, then disappeared. The good news is the 12 that remained look superb and are doing swimmingly! No quills, no disease. Now, if I can keep the japanese beetles off of them, they will be fine. By the way, they are in part shade, they have a gigantic bradford pear on their doorstep.

I have had a tiki torch saga. First, ordered one from a grower that I wasn't familiar with. They sent me basically a plug it was so small. It had already started to get mushy, so needless to say it didn't make it. Got a refund. Found out after that I JUST missed Tiki at the local nursery. Second try, ordered from a very reputable grower, they sent me the wrong plant, so will be sending me tiki next week. Hopefully, third times a charm.

Anyone seen Tangerine in person? I hear it keeps color and performs better than Tiki. It's scented, also. My mouth has been watering over that one for months.

By the way, I also have Green Envy, Tomato Soup, Midnight, Elton John, Kim's Knee High, one mystery pink one, Mac N Cheese, and another yellow mystery one that the grower accidentally sent instead of Tiki. I have been "eyeing" green eye, too. Saw it in person at a local nursery. Haven't taken the leap on that one, though. I really like the colors other than pink as my favs.

• 14 years ago

Oops!

Correction, I have Green Jewel not Green Envy and Elton Knight not Elton John, LOL!!! Children have rotted my brain! I think that is the funniest slip yet!

• 14 years ago

I ordered 3 Tiki Torches from Sooner Plant Farm last year and received 3 plants growing in quart containers. They were huge, well-rooted plants and even bloomed their first year.

We had 3 days and nights of -22F temps in January, so I wasn't sure if the Tiki Torches would survive. However, these guys not only popped up and started growing in April, but have taken over the area and are even taller than the Crazy Daisies and my Summer Song Austin rose that is planted in the same bed. And, yes, these are the original three coneflowers, but the plants themselves are increasing in size. I plan to scatter their seeds in some different rose beds and see if any of the plants germinate next spring.

BTW, Sooner Plant Farm also offers many varieties of coneflowers, including Mac 'n Cheese, Pink Poodle, and Tomato Soup. They have 100% favorable reviews on Dave's Garden also.
    -terry

• 14 years ago

Mine are just starting to bloom now.
    Sunset, yes quite a few quilled petal but good strong healthy growth.
    Double Decker, a good strong healthy plant, lots of flowers but no sign of it doubling up (2nd year blooming). Razzmatazz, lots of flowers not fully opened yet and good strong healthy growth (this plant has doubled in size since last year), take a pic later.
    Sundown, WOW, what an eye catching color, 2nd year plant, 1st time blooming, good strong healthy growth.

2 pix of my Sundown, the pictures don't really pick up what a vibrant color it really is.

{{gwi:218863}}
    {{gwi:218865}}

Annette

• 14 years ago

Annette - They won't be that color long. Try maybe 24 hours if you're lucky. These fade quicker than anything.

• 14 years ago

E~ Maybe it's the cooler weather we're having right now that's keeping the color longer, this flower has been open for 4 or 5 days.
    My Double Delight is about the same size as it was last year when I planted it, isn't doing nearly as well as Razzmatazz. I'm thinking of picking off the flower buds, feeding it a root stimulator to give it a boost. The new ones I bought this year I'm going to disbud, maybe leave one bloom just to have a peek at what it's going to look like.
    It looks like Echinaceas are fast becoming my new addiction, 27 varieties so far in different stages of growth :o).

Annette

• 14 years ago

Annette,

I bet that's it. Our summers are so hot here. Sundown Echinaceas are ugly here. I don't grow them anymore. I think it's awesome that you got one without the quilled petals. Those are hard to find.

• 14 years ago

Not to throw a monkey wrench in the theory, but my sundowns last for almost a week before they start to fade, also and the fading is fairly slow. They are shaded, though, so that is probably part of the formula, too. My Summers, however, fade like nobody's business! Guess you can't have everything.

• 14 years ago

The shade might have something to do with it too, my Echinaceas get morning and early afternoon sun, late afternoon shade from 4 on. Sundown is still holding it's color, I guess temperature, ours has been below 70 for at least a week now and amount of sun/heat these get might also be a determining factor in how well they perform.

Annette

• 14 years ago

They are faded here like all get out. I saw a ton of these at Lowes and they were so ugly. I think Sundown is one of the ugliest Echinaceas you can buy. I don't know why they still get them by the truck load, especially when the color is so washed out in all the ones they have for sale. They've marked them down, but nobody is buying.

• 14 years ago

I think it depends on location. They do very well here, they're a good beautiful plant. There isn't a plant in the world that does well everywhere.

• 14 years ago

Well I am glad to find more positive posts of the hybrids. I just started getting interested in the Echinaceas this season and just bought 2 Tiki Torches, 1 coconut lime to try - due to cool colours.
    Thinking the hybrids would be as hardy and easy as the original purpurea, I did not dig twice as deep when putting the gallons into the ground.
    Does anyone have any advise as to whether I should re-dig bigger holes and pamper these guys with lots of triple mix, transplant fertilizer etc. to ensure a good take?

Or maybe my 5b zone would be too challenging for these new varieties anyway and I should just pray ???

• 14 years ago

What a great thread (and photos!) as I ponder which variety to get for my mom in zone 6 Kansas City for Mother's Day (yes, I know, the shame of procrastination!) Can't help wondering how these varieties have performed for you all in the meantime, after another winter's experience?
    I guess we're all pretty much after the same things (robustness/dependability, bloom longevity and even scent would be a nice extra) but if you have any favorites to recommend among these 'new color' hybrids, I'd be all ears... (echinaceamaniac, which if any of these have not disappointed you?)
    I really appreciate your cultural tips as I would've otherwise plunked them into the full sun of a south-facing bed like an ordinary purpurea!

Paul
    (watching his own first winter-bargain-table Sunrise leaf out with anticip-p-pation)

• 14 years ago

All of mine made it, and are doing great! I have, in multiples; Midnight Wine, Crazy pink, Tiki Torch, Pink Poodle, After Midnight, and several varieties of lost tag noids. They're all nice robust plants. I'll be looking for more to add as the season goes on.

• 14 years ago

I'm glad yours made it! My Tomato Soup didn't make through winter or something may have eaten it over winter. My Mac and Cheese is horrible! It is a pathetic excuse of an echinacea and I'm ready to throw in the shovel lol with that one and try something different. It's the 3rd year with it and it never bloomed yet! Never grew large and looks distorted all the time.
    In fact, I think echinacea's just don't like me! lol I have horrible luck with them.
    Hopefully my After Midnight and Tiki Torch will do better this year.

• 14 years ago

Hey Kenstar, I am not big into echinaceas, but I have some experience with them here in NE Ohio also. My tiki torch is going on it's forth year and is always very little not much to talk about. I have a big sky that is yellow from lowe's that does well and is a very unique color. But if you want a huge vigorous grower go with the ruby star! It is my first enchinaceas to bloom every year and goes strong until first frost! I love it! It produces 100's of flowers!

• 14 years ago

Has anyone tried the new variety Hot lava?

My tomato soup is back but does not seem to be in a hurry to grow. Whereas the regular echinacea variety can barely restrain itself even after tranplanting

• 14 years ago

Well here's my 2010 list. All came through the winter just fine, even the very small Green Jade I bought last fall. Others I have up and growing are.
    After Midnight
    All That Jazz
    Coconut Lime
    Double Decker, this one started to double deck last summer but I really don't care for it so it's going.
    Green Envy
    Harvest Moon
    Mac 'n' Cheese
    Pink Double Delight
    Primadonna Deep Rose
    Razzmatazz
    Ruby Star
    Sundown
    Sunrise (strong grower but quilled petals)
    Sunset (strong grower but quilled petals)
    Summer Sky
    Tikki Torch
    Twilight
    Vintage Wine
    White Swan

Annette

• 14 years ago

wow, this thread picked up from last yr. LOL!
    I see a few posts that mention about some varieties doing better in shade. I know my Summer Sky love the partial sun. What are some others that like the part sun? I am thinking about moving my remedial Mac N Cheese to a partial sun location.

• 14 years ago

My Mac and Cheese is in the partial sun location and just sits there. I wouldn't.
    The two on each side of that one grow much better, don't figure.

• 14 years ago

I put my Mac 'n Cheese out of its misery yesterday. It got replaced with a 'Jethro Tull' Coreopsis which is BEAUTIFUL! Got it at Wal-Mart for less than 5 bucks. There is no yellow Echinacea that can compare to this beauty!

• 14 years ago

I was thinking of replacing mine soon with something similar like coreopsis moonbeam which I've heard raves about. It's got just a couple weeks maybe to start growing or it's outa here!

• 14 years ago

My Mac 'n Cheese is a plug size after its first winter.

'Tomato soup' is doing great - looks like a blooming size plant already. It was purchased with Mac 'n Cheese last year (both were plugs).

'Hot Lava' survived. Still tiny.
    'Pink Poodle' bloomed for me first year after planting. Overwinted OK.
    'Tiki Torch' is finally growing (two years in the garden, never bloomed).
    Same thing with 'Merinque' and 'Coral Reef'.
    'Ruby Star' and 'Coconut Lime' are doing great. No surprise here: they both were gallon size plants at the planting time.
    'Hot Papaya', 'Tangerine Dream' did not survive. I just ordered one more 'Hot Papaya'. Will give it one more try.

• 14 years ago

Green Jewel was in partial sun last year, and it seemed to believe that it was perfectly sited. Bloomed its little heart out till very, very late. And it's back already with buds that are going to open any minute now! :D Love, love love Green Jewel.

After reading all the Big Sky bad reviews, I was a little nervous about the Sundown I bought last year. But it's back as well, bigger than last year, and has one bud so far.

• 14 years ago

alina, same thing with my Tiki Torch. It's on it's third year now and the first two, no blooms! I have yet to see what it looks like! It seems to be growing better this year, so I am keeping my fingers crossed!
    If the few echinaceas I do have don't perform their all out!

• 14 years ago

Kenstar,

I just checked my TT. It has 3 stems with tiny buds. I hope nobody will eat these buds and I will see TT blooming finally ;)

As for other new cultivars, I'll give them a couple of years after planting. Then, only the best ones stay in my garden...

• 14 years ago

See my post from last year (link below) re 'Tiki Torch'. I can't wait to see it again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiki Torch 2009

• 14 years ago

See my post from last year (link below) re 'Tiki Torch'. I can't wait to see it again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiki Torch 2009