SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudhouse_gw

Questions about polyisocyanurate foil-faced foam sheathing

mudhouse_gw
16 years ago

WeÂre planning on insulating the north wall of our Harbor Freight 10 x 12 greenhouse with foil-faced polyisocyanurate foam sheathing. (Looking for 1"Âso far IÂve found ¾".) Looking at posts here, I guess I should also cover the lower part of the north roof as well.

I have some beginner questions.

First, I understand this helps insulate the greenhouse against cold. Would it also help keep the greenhouse cooler in the summer? IÂve seen some photos here with insulation installations that look permanent, but other posts mentioning that some insulation is removed during summer. IÂm confusedÂis it beneficial in summer? Do most folks leave it up, or take it down?

Second questionÂI donÂt mind the look of the foil on the inside of the greenhouse, but the insulation has big blue lettering on the back, which will show through the polycarbonate greenhouse panels. Maybe itÂs silly, but I dislike how that will look on the outside of the greenhouse (which is very visible to a bunch of my neighbors.)

Birdwidow asked a question in (this thread) about painting the foil side of insulation. Answers indicated that painting the foil side would lessen or negate the insulating benefit of the foil. However, the outer side of this insulation does not appear to be foil  rather some thin plastic or paper covering, with printed advertising. Is there any reason I shouldnÂt roll on a coat of white primer paint on the outside of the insulation?

Thanks for any help!

Sheri

Comments (26)