SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scryn

heater advice needed

scryn
16 years ago

I am purchasing an empire heater for my 6x8 home attached greenhouse. (6mm pc, that is insulated with bubble wrap during the winter)

Last year I used an electric heater to keep the temp of the greenhouse about 60 degrees. This heater was 1500watts so I estimate that it put out about 5000 btu's (does this seem right?)

it was able to keep the temps about right all through the winter except when it was very, very windy and 3 days where the temps were record lows. I took my plants inside for these 3 days because I didn't want to worry about them. This is easy to do since the greenhouse is attached to the house and we have a window I can just pass the plants through.

Now, after estimating what btu's i need for the winter I came out with a value of 8000-9000 btu (depending on the insulation, I was guessing how much the bubble wrap and other insulation techniques would change the insulation value)

The issue is that the empire heater I am looking at comes in a 7000 btu OR a 10000 btu. At first I though I would get the 10000 but my husband didn't agree with that, mainly because he felt that was too much, with all the insulation we added, and that the 10000 btu was bigger than the 7000 and with the limited space it would be best to go a little smaller.

For the winter we completely seal the greenhouse door with thick vinyl (has a zipper for entry) I have reflective housing insulation on the lower portion of the greenhouse year round and i have bubble wrap that I put up over most of the greenhouse during the winter. I also have heat sinks.

I am wondering if everyone thinks that in my case the 7000 btu would be ok? I can have a temperature of about 50 however I would like to keep the temp at 60 during the night.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor