SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

open air shade structure/low visibility 'lathe house'

davidrt28 (zone 7)
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I did a cursory check of the archive but didn't see anything like this.

Trying to make a long story short: I want to start collecting rhodies & camellias but I don't have an ideal woodland, yet. I have 4 trees in a sort of trapezoidal diamond: N & E are hemlocks, W is a huge maple, S is a Morus. The Acer and Morus have got to go. They are old and have trunks that are split >3 ways, no amount of pruning would ever recover them and one day those trunks are going to split. Why country people don't have the sense to prune young trees correctly could easily be a whole 'nother thread. Of for that matter why they didn't plant non-junk trees like oaks...oh well.

Of course I can plant N & E of the Hemlocks, which I plan to keep, assuming Merit isn't banned. I've already done that. I was thinking of removing the southern most Morus, planting a replacement and waiting for it to grow, then cutting the maple down in about 10 years when there would be shade to the south. I'm realizing that is still not an ideal solution.

What I'm toying with is this: remove the huge maple - whose branches could fall and crush whatever I plant anyhow. Leave the Morus for now. Cable the 3 trees w/lightweight stainless steel cable from HD or Lowes. Using this form, precisely drape shade cloth, taunt, at about 15' from the ground. This would leave an triagular area of about 45' X 45' X 45', that would otherwise be in full sun for most of a hot summer afternoon, shaded.

OK...anybody have experience doing something like this and know of the pitfalls? I've already thought of obvious ones: the cabling will have to be done carefully to avoid damaging the trees, and I'll possibly need some dynamic tensioning method, lest the swaying of the trees causes the lines to snap. Obvious, too, is that it will need regular maintenance. Fixing runs of shade cloth that get damaged by any falling branches for example. Thirdly is permitting issues, but I live in a rural county and the code I've read says any "agricultural shade structure" or "agricultural support structure" is exempt from permitting requirements.

Comments (4)