SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jd_farmer

stx 38 want charge ,want start

jd_farmer
14 years ago

To start off with I have a charging problem with a John Deere STX 38. It was running but now it is not. I was trouble shooting the problem, when I shorted out something. It will crank now but will not start.

I check to see if I had 12 volts at the center post of the regulator/rectifier. I did not have any voltage so I ran a jumper wire from the positive post of the battery to the center post of the Regulator/Rectifier and then check to see if the system was charging with the engine running, it was charging the battery, I removed the jumper wire with the engine turned off. I then removed a relay module that is fasten under the seat by one screw. I checked continuity between its terminal block terminals. One terminal on the relay plug and the center post on the regulator/rectifier showed to have continuity. One terminal in relay block showed to have power. So at this point I jumper the hot post on the relay plug to the one that showed continuity to the regulator/rectifier on the relay plug. Sparks flew at that point my jumper got hot. I tried starting the engine, it would crank over but will not start. Can any tell me what the relay controls and what I may have burnt up or shorted out to keep the engine from starting? Also what can be causing the charging system problem? Any help will be appreciated. Thank You William

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996
More Discussions