SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diginthedirt17

Question about garden layout - pics

diginthedirt17
17 years ago

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestions to my previous post about removing some or all of the shrubs in our patio garden. Three junipers and one privet were moved which opened up quite a bit of space for more "pretty" plantings.

I'm going to create a flagstone walkway straight across the entire bed, with a side path (right) into the yard. The two remaining privets are directly in both pathways so they will need to moved either elsewhere in bed or around the house. What do you think - keep them in the bed or lose them? What about the boxwood? I don't want to outline the bed in shrubs, but they do add some structure. There is also a weigela that I can work around because it's too beautiful to move!

I've replanted the Karl Foerster feather reed grass in front of the window, along with a few hostas that I couldn't pass up over the weekend (Paul's Glory, Guacamole, Sagae, August Moon). My hope is that the grass and hostas block the unsightly view of the window well and foundation. Waiting to be planted are Lady's Mantle, Jacob's Ladder, Moonbeam Coreopsis and my favorite, Jack Frost Brunnera.

I appreciate any thoughts you may have - I love these plants but planning where to put them is not my talent. I'm also taking suggestions for tough perennials as I have a 2yr. old son who is lovingly referred to as "The Destroyer." Thank you!

Here are a few pics:

{{gwi:215619}}

{{gwi:215622}}

{{gwi:215624}}

{{gwi:215626}}

BEFORE:

{{gwi:215628}}

Comments (3)