SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cena_gw

Cover crop ready!

Cena
17 years ago

I got so excited that my buckwheat was blooming that I forgot to ask just what is the optimal process for turning it into the garden!

The pound of seed that I got said the maturation rate was right at 8 weeks. The first plot started blooming 10 or so days ago. Now I have blooms widespread and want to utilize this before seed starts to set.

I did a search (I'm well GW trained) for Green Manure and Cover Crop and didn't get information past the lovely FAQ's that Monte was kind enough to provide.

When I put the seed out, I took the time to cover with about an inch of compost (I was cleaning out the bottom of a trash can in preps to sift some more).

True leaves coming in (don't pay any attention to the UCG filters you see!).

{{gwi:272548}}
How Does My BuckWheat Grow?

{{gwi:272550}}
(Unevenly. I hand broadcast. After the first flush, I came back and sowed again.)

Third week of February.

{{gwi:272552}}
Second broadcast filling in. Oh, that's a chicken tractor off to the left there.

{{gwi:272553}}
Coming right along, first of March or so.

{{gwi:272556}}
Bout that time...

{{gwi:272557}}
Those are mums. There's an onion in there too.

{{gwi:272558}}
Just this week. That board is 11 1/2 inches. ALL of those plants are in bloom. Since I didn't thin after seeding, I started thinning out the bloomers.

{{gwi:272559}}

So, I need to know just how to turn under my cover crop. Do I just trench it in? What?

Oh, a potato fork.

That tiller stays in the shed unless I'm starting a new bed...

TIA for any help, suggestions or comments.

Comments (3)