SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wolfsong64

Quercus Virginiana in the Land of the Frozen Chosen

wolfsong64
12 years ago

I had the good fortune of getting two Live Oaks to sprout from acorns that I'd picked up in South Carolina while visiting family there. My little seedlings are now about 3 in tall and growing rapidly. I've seen a few others talking about trying to get these guys to grow in northern climates but none as far north as we are here in Chicago.

Any thoughts on how to make this happen? It seems like from what I am seeing that they won't make it once they get big enough to go outside. I am hoping this is not the case. Otherwise they will have to make the trip back to their home state and live with their brothers and sisters.

I also was surprised to see that people are using these trees as bonsai and patio trees. This was amazing to me after seeing the Angel Tree Oak in Charleston, SC with it�s 17,000 sq ft of shade area and other amazing specimens around the state. I do have one room with a 20� ceiling where this might be a possibility for them at least for awhile. Any advice at the best way to go about this? I�ve never tried something like this for a house tree outside of a ficus.

Image link:

Comment