SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
profsuzy

Be careful what you wish for

profsuzy
16 years ago

Hi all - A few months back, I made an off-hand comment to my DH - "wouldn't it be nice to have a greenhouse some day?" Well, guess what my 50th birthday present was last month? Yep - he went and bought a greenhouse (without consulting me at all!). Actually, he did ok - got a 9'x12' Elite GH (sold by Farmtek). We're in the process of pouring a foundation for it. We're putting it on a block foundation that will come above ground 24", raising the greenhouse up a bit, and we'll eventually build a garden shed that will attach to the greenhouse on the north side.

Here's my problem. I've never had a greenhouse before, and I want to be sure that I take advantage of all it has to offer. I doubt we'll heat it during the winter (at least for the first few winters), so I guess it will be used mostly in the spring to get seedlings planted early, and perhaps in the fall to extend the season.

Can anyone recommend a great book for a true GH newbie - one that can help me figure out everything I need to know to get started? And just to get me thinking (since it will be up and ready to use in a few weeks), how do other mid-Atlantic types (we're in southern PA) use their greenhouses in the fall? Thanks!

Suzanne

Comments (2)