SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherwood_botsford

Buying greenhouse second hand.

I've got an offer in to buy a 24 x 60 foot greenhouse with furnace, fans, groundcloth, covering -- all the stuff inside (no plants, but benches etc.) for $1440 -- a buck a square foot.

What are the gotchas about inspecting a greenhouse prior to moving it?

Here's my checklist so far:

1. How is the film attached? Board and batten is going to make it hard to reuse the film. (Is it possible to ever take the film off and put it on?)

2. Foundation system. Posts or poured concrete. Getting foundation elements out of concrete is a no start, so it means it had better be a brand I can still get those pieces for.

3. Make and model of greenhouse. Where can I get extra bits?

4. Condition of tubing. Corrosion. Check esp. the lower ends of the tubes where they meet the ground, and the bolts where pieces cross.

5. How well did it go together? Any evidence of needing extra holes because parts didn't line up? Extra holes are places to check for corrosion?

Taking it apart:

0. Tools needed/desireable.

* Air compressor and impact wrench

* Cordless drill, robertson & phillips screwdriver tips.

* Paint pen for marking pieces. Or weatherproof labels and felt tip.

* Socket set and combo wrench set.

* Rope/bailing twine.

* Rhino clips.

1. On my assessment visit take many pictures. At the end of that, I want to be able to figure out how many of each kind of piece there are.

2. Print up a bunch of weatherproof labels with part names on them. (Bow, north; perlon; diagonal brace, bow brace, basket hanger...)

3. Taking the film off:

* Unfasten at the endwalls.

* Unfasten at the edgesUsing somehting like the leevalley rhino clips attach a line every 12 feet to one edge, throw the lines over the frame.

* One person pulls on the lines while the other watches for catches

* Once the cover is off, bunch together and tie every 4 feet much like a reefed sail.

* Fold up the sausage as best you can.

4. Frame disassembly

* Remove anything attached to the frame

* Deal with the endwalls.

* Remove non-structuraal parts (hanging bars for baskets)

* Start at top and remove perlins. Put bolts back in perlin ends.

* Once all but bottom row of perlins are removed, start at one end, on the first bow that isn't attached to a diagonal brace. Detach from foundation post, carry out of the way, lower, and disassemble, labeling all parts, and putting bolts back into holes.

5. Foundation: If on posts, I hope they have a tractor to pull the posts. Otherwise?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH