SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Suggestions for sound insulation.

orchidnick
13 years ago

I recently put the finishing touches on a 'Cold' greenhouse for rain forest orchids and want to increase the humidity. Instead of the conventional plug-in hydrofogger I bought a rebuilt Carel MC 2000 atomizing nozzle which can put out a ton of water at 10 micron droplet size. It needs RO water delivered to it at a low pressure, 2 to 4 psi, no problem, a container of water at 7' height level is doing that, keeps full with a toilet tank water level device.

Air needs to be delivered at 10 to 40 psi. An air compressor does that. Increase the air pressure and more water is delivered up to 15 lbs/hr. Droplet size is not affected by that. The lower the water pressure, the smaller the droplet size, by raisinng or lowering the nozzle in relation to the water source, droplet size can be controled. All this is good, the nozzle was $100 on Ebay, a 5HP 20 gal compressor was $100 on Craig List, all the pieces are in play for very minimal cost.

It works great, the compressor takes 5 minutes to fill the tank to 120psi, the nozzle bleeding the air at 15psi setting drains it down to 100psi in 5 minutes. This restarts the motor which needs about 30 seconds to bring the pressure back to 120psi. Without any noise protection it sounds like Attila the Hun is about to attack but the green house feels like the rain forest in Costa Rica. So every 5 minutes a deafening compressor goes on for 30 seconds, just the kind of lullaby you want to wake up to on a Sunday morning. My neighbors told me that I could stay but the compressor had to go.

I got some QuietRock soundproof drywall, item #525 to be exact, and built a box just for the motor which sits in a corner of the garage inside that box. The noise is significantly reduced and I can run it during reasonable daylight hours. It is still too loud to run it 24 hrs/day.

Does anyone have any experience soundproofing a 5 HP oil less compressor? There is a less expensive sound absorbing particle board available from HD, they also sell sheets of Styrofoam, 2' x 4' x 2". I was planning to add layers of these 2 items around the box like layers of an onion. In addition there are some sound absorbing tile (ceiling tile, I believe) one could add. Someone also suggested to create a 6" wall of sand around the whole thing. Another idea was to throw a sleeping bag over it. I also have a ton of 1' cement blocks, (HD blocks) I could build an igloo over the top of the contraption. Unless I get some intelligent advice, I just plan to add layer upon layer of stuff until the noise level is acceptable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nick

Comments (10)