SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

mongo--pocket door sound insulation?

mahatmacat1
18 years ago

Hello, master-of-all-trades :) G'web is an amazing place and you seem to have knowledge in SO many categories--hope you don't mind my picking your brain here too...

We're putting a pocket door into our Master Bedroom as part of this master suite epic project you've been reading about on the bathrooms forum, and I was reading up here on various approaches to sound deadening. The pocket door frame is posing a challenge, since we can't do the alternating-stud/split 6" sill thing we've been doing for the other walls.

What would you recommend for insulating between the frame of a pocket door and the drywall? Is there something really nice and slim? We can only go with one layer of drywall, but we are having only a small jamb on the other side of the pocket (the side where the door extends to, not the side it tucks in on) before we jog inward, so we could pretty easily match thickness there if necessary. Here are some suggestions you made in another thread:

"There are the metal isolation channels that hold the drywall off the framing, you might want to take a look at those.

there are also foam products (almost like tape) that can be placed between the drywall and the framing.

There is also a product called "green glue", it's used between two sheets of drywall as a sound deadener. Fairly pricey though, if I recall the tubes are about $12 and you use 2 tubes between two sheets. So you're looking at about another $25 per sheet of drywall.

There are other membrane-type materials that you could use as well, they are stapled over the framing and covered with drywall. With the membrane you could likely go with just one layer of drywall."

Which one(s) of these would you recommend for our situation to give us the best soundproofing around that pocket frame? And what kind of membrane material are you talking about (please name names, it's o.k., considering how much Kerdi and Ditra get mentioned here)

As ever, many thanks :)

Comments (14)