SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike2278

Commercial- sized greenhouse?

mike2278
13 years ago

I'm new to this form and could really use some help! I'm building a sustainable home in the middle of no where and it's going to be completely off the grid and powered exclusively by wind and solar power.

My next project is to build a greenhouse that is capable of providing produce year-round. The typical planting season in my area (NC) is early April and I still pick tomatoes and peppers until the first week of November. During the coldest winter months the temperature will drop down to 15 degrees and during the day it will warm-up to about 30, and the summers range between 85 and 95 degrees. I rarely experience harsh storms. Nevertheless I want a greenhouse that can withstand said weather. I definitely don't want polyethylene sheathing but think polycarbonate would suffice?

I'm going to install a radiant heating system in the floor to provide heat in the greenhouse during the winter months along with a fan (or fans) to ensure proper circulation (I'm not sure?). I also plan to install vents where necessary...though I'm not sure where I'll need them or how many I'll need? The greenhouse will be situated so it faces due south and I plan to install some type of automatic irrigation/watering system.

The area I selected to install the greehouse is currently wooded and the area is heavily shaded. So I'm not sure if I should cut down ALL the trees in the area to allow for 100% sunlight, or should I allow some trees to remain? I really don't know and I certainly don't want to "burn" the plants.

I'm looking to build a greenhouse that is approx. 24'x30' and I plan to grow a large variety of vegetables. I'm an amateur gardener (and I really enjoy it), and I'm "assuming" that if a greenhouse can maintain static temperatures year round an annual plant can continue to reproduce in continuous cycles, but I may be wrong about this. I hope this is true as I don't want to switch back and forth between winter and summer crops because that somewhat defeats the purpose of having a greenhouse. For example, "with a properly constructed greenhouse can I grow zucchini, squash, lettuce, cantelopes etc. year round? And will those same plants CONTINUE to bear fruit with the proper climatic conditions?"

Any advice offered would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance, Mike

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor