SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adster_gw

Backpack Blower...hip ot tube throttle?

17 years ago

Any advantage/disadvantage to either? I'm thinking tube throttle so the other hand can be free to loosen leaves that may be really tightly caged up in say, hedge roots. Then you can kick the power up and shoot them out? I'm a newbie at this so, let me know if my logic is faulted. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• 17 years ago

Chevy/Ford. It's personal preference. Some people like the throttle on the tube thinking it frees up the other hand. I have and always had and like the throttle on the hip. I set the throttle and forget it, my hand is free. If the tube throttle is a trigger your finger/hand could get cramped/tired. Others will be along with the pros and cons of each. I say try both out before you buy and see what you feel comfortable with. - Kris

• 17 years ago

My hand gets tired of controlling the trigger throttle if I'm working more than just a few minutes straight. A fixed throttle on the other side would be great in those situations where the operator is using the blower for a long time. On the flip side.... the trigger on the tube type offers more precise control for flower beds and such delicate areas.

• 17 years ago

I sell very few with the hip throttle. Most have a cruise control on the tube throttle so fatigue should not be a problem. Tip for the hip throttle guys, lower the handle BEFORE you hoist it on your back, you can't reach it after.

• 17 years ago

Tube throttle with variable throttle lock, nothing beats it. I can also start a Stihl blower with it on my back.

• 17 years ago

I'm with the tube throttle for sure... I like the idea of the L. hand, but with a cruise control, who cares? And then there is less to mess with.

• 17 years ago

Like canguy said, most of the tube controls, we call them joysticks, have a throttle lock on them. At least the better models do. The joystick makes tube control much easier and comfortable over twisting your wrist to maintain proper directional control.

The only down side if even worth mentioning is some of the gardeners who are rough on their stuff seem to find the longer throttle cables exposed areas and snag them on things tearing them up. Most have no trouble, just the guys who tend to throw them in their truck when done.