SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ben_5b

Greenhouse Questions for beginner

ben_5b
15 years ago

Hello,

I am doing some research on building a greenhouse in awhile from now. I've always been interested, but haven't had the resources to be able to do it, and after talking to my fiance' we are thinking about building a greenhouse once we get our own house.

So please bear with my questions about a greenhouse, as I have a few - I've read a few helpful articles here, and elsewhere, and I hope to get these questions answered.

1) What size of greenhouse would it take to grow enough vegetables for 2 people to live off of, year round?

2) Being in my zone (5B), what kind of issues would I run in to building such a greenhouse? I'm going to assume that such a greenhouse might be a little bigger than your "average" greenhouse. What kind of power requirements would such a (I assume larger) greenhouse incur?

3) What kind of costs would it take for such a greenhouse to be built, with all of the trimmings? I would want something that is going to last awhile, so it'd most likely be good quality.

I think thats about it for now...Very excited to hear responses! Ultimately, my idea is to build a self-sufficient greenhouse that would allow 2 people to nearly live off of, both for fun and health reasons.

Thanks!

Comments (11)