SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louisgreenhouse

beginner greenhouse help please!

12 years ago

Hello everyone. I have built a greenhouse with a wooden frame and clear vinyl plastic. It is what I found at Wal-Mart in the arts and crafts section. About $3 a yard. It is thick and seems durable, however, I am concerned about frying all my plants. It gets very humid in Iowa City but also very hot. Yesterday the temperature shot op well over a hundred inside when it was around 80s outside. I am sure nothing will survive when the outside temperatures are 90s and up. I mean the water felt way too hot inside some pots. I am actually amazed nothing died completely. I have put in a fan and the door has a wide gap that flaps open even if tied down so ventilation is pretty good. I even made an extra hole the size of a basketball at the top of a side wall. I will try attaching a picture of my green/blue house contraption. It is 10*6*8 feet approximately. I have inside some venus flytraps, petunias and some other crawling flowers. A tomato, a grape vine?, strawberries, ivies, unions, all kinds of seed in little pots, and sometimes a rusting bicycle.

I plan on getting a more powerful fan and if that does not help some shading cloth for the heat problem but any advice would be more than welcome!!!

Some questions are:

1. Should I have not used the clear plastic? (In that case does vinyl burn well?)

2. Should my fan perhaps face outwards through a whole sucking the inside air outwards? (Is that what is meant by the term "exhaust fan"?)

3. I have some gravel and stepping stones for flooring. I left a foot of soil uncovered all around the base for plants to grow out of pots. Is that sensible?

Comments (7)