SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fcarp63

advice on painting a garden tractor deck

fcarp63
13 years ago

Hi Everyone:

I purchased a used Deere GT225 last year that was in pretty good condition but, (along with the normal scrapes & scratches) some deck paint had flaked off and was poorly repainted with mis-matching paint and there is also some surface rust in spots.

I would like to repaint the deck to make it look better and presrve the machine for the long-run. In terms of prep I'm thinking that I should remove the deck, remove the belts, wash with a non-solvent degreaser, remove decals with a heat gun (or adhesive remover?), sand rust and feather the edges of the flaked areas, etc.

I'm not sure how exactly how to handle the actual painting though, so I'm looking for advice from others that may have done this before for their feedback.

I'm just planning on using Deere paint in spray-cans for the application so my questions are: should I spot prime and then repaint the whole deck or prime the entire deck and then repaint? Should I strip all paint to bare metal, prime and paint? Remove all deck hardware such as mandels & pulleys before painting or just mask everything? Sand between coats or use a polishing compound to smooth things out after the last coat? What sandpaper should I use, etc.

I am looking to get the best results possible using normal household tools and at a reasonable cost. I don't own a compressor, nor do I have access to a powder paint facility so please just assume the spray can method for painting.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions