SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilydude

Big lean-to greenhouse: build or buy?

lilydude
16 years ago

I need a 10x25 ft. leanto greenhouse for growing perennials and wildflowers. I don't need heat in the winter, but it needs to be cool in summer. I will be attaching it to the east side of an existing garage, so it gets morning sun only. For convection, I want manually operated vents on the roof and the long wall. I don't need automatic vents. I prefer polycarbonate to glass. I need a floor that can be cleaned easily, like a concrete slab. I don't need to pinch every penny, but I have no interest in luxury features; this will be a no-nonsense working greenhouse. Location is western Washington state, so we don't get extreme temperatures or high winds, but we can get several inches of snow.

I would build this myself with a wood frame, but I don't know how to build the roof vents so that they are rainproof. Does anyone know where I can get plans? I can buy a kit, and there are lots of companies that make them, but how do I find out which ones are good and have good instruction manuals? I'm not a pro builder, but I'm a pretty good amateur. What would you suggest? Thanks.

Comments (4)