SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woost2

Needs ideas for east facing and clay

12 years ago

Small townhouse with small fenced in backyard. I've sheet mulched the former turf between the fence and an established (by the developer) parking lot side bed. I'd like to find the right plants for this spot and am envisioning broadleaf evergreens. Which probably aren't "right".

So,

Fence -- solid cedar, 5 ft tall, 12 feet long. The bed continues another 6 feet along the house

Exposure -- East facing with some strong southern exposure until mid day in summer. The bed grew volunteer cantaloupe last year ... got 7 melons!

Soil -- new construction clay of the worst variety with about 4 inches of fluff add through the sheet mulching process. Alkaline.

Other -- the parking lot bed has a red twig dogwood at the northeast corner in front (east) of this bed. It could be pruned. There is about 7 feet between the fence and the red twig. I will need access to the fence at some point to restain it.

So, what do you think? I'd love rhody, pieris, azalea but I think everything is wrong except the exposure. There is not a single evergreen in my life so the red twig and some sedum are IT for winter interest. This bed was ready to go last summer but I had no inspiration. And, well, there were cantaloupe.

Ideas?

Comments (4)