SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njdpo

Reverse problems on sears craftsman

njdpo
16 years ago

Hi all,

I have a rear engine sears craftsman ride and mulch II tractor with a 5 speed forward and a 1 speed reverse.

Unit looks just like this one  without the bag:

9http://norfolk.craigslist.org/grd/497504577.htm

This is my FRANKENSTEIN LIGHT mower for those who have read my previous threads.

Anywho we put the little mule to work this afternoon again dragging a log splitter into the back woods with a bottle of brandy and six pack and made sweet sweet love to a seasoned oak tree. BoyOboy that little tractor likes brandy...

The issue is (and now I think itÂs a problem) is that while putting the little mule in reverse the tractor will move backward  but with a lurching motion. Initially it seems as if the motor is surging  Note that we NEVER have this lurching in forward gears (1-5) only reverse. AND to be clear the motor is strong and steady - no probs with the motor or carb.

So I get to thinking  lets put a slight load on the unit and see what is going on... and  Its not goodÂ

I drove the tractor on a slight incline with the front facing down a small hill (no trailer  just my @ss in the seat). Put the tractor into reverse and let out the brake/clutch What happens is mysterious - the tractor will make its way (backwards) up the incline. But it behaves as if  a tooth in the gearbox (whatever it is formally named) is missing. From the back end of the tractor is a rather noisy "CLACK" sound (the clack sound is not heard if I were on level ground  just the lurching motion) and then the tractor will continue to lurch rearward again shortly followed by another CLACK. And the cycle repeats itself Â

So while the tractor is used mostly in forward gears without issue (all 5 forward speeds) Â seemingly reverse is not "all there".

Do you guys have ideas and suggestions  tÂwould be a shame if the little mule had a sick gearbox Â

WhatÂs next ?

Thanks Dave

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions