SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
photobob_gw

stored batteries -- part 2

photobob
14 years ago

Read with interest the "stored batteries" thread, and especially enjoyed the detailed wind chill discussion. Fun stuff.

But it did bring to mind a little nit that I've wondered about for a long time, but never pursued. I've always stored my motorcycle, boat, and now tractor batteries in my basement for the winter. No problem, have a spare bench where they hibernate happily, getting topped off regularly with fresh electrons. They repay my effort with years of faithful service...

Every manual, SB, or whatever that concerns storage always has the admonishment "NEVER store your battery on the ground or on a concrete floor." I don't, but I've always wondered why. I mean, the hard rubber case has no idea what it's sitting on, does it? The concrete can't suck the power out of it. Even some dampness or the slight temperature difference between the floor and ambient shouldn't affect it. The only thing that might make some sense would seem to be that any leaking/spilled acid would have an unpleasant reaction with the limestone in the concrete or soil. But then I'm sure the wood benchtop isn't going to like the acid either.

You can blame the winter doldrums (read: Cabin Fever) for the somewhat off-topic dumb question. But you guys started it with the wind chill stuff! (big grin)

Thanks,

-Bob

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions