SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kermdawg

Old horse manure

Kermdawg
13 years ago

Hey my neighbor has 5 horses and lets one free range in the lot behind my house when he's in heat so he dont get so aggressive with his other horses. Anyway, he eats and poops and what not back there and it sits all summer long (I live just outside of vegas so its hot)

I was wondering if that old horse waste is any good for composting or fertilizing. Its really old and dried out and stuff.

My second question also relates to composting-I'm trying to start a compost pile out here, and as ya probably know, it gets -hot-. Right now my dirt(dirt, not soil) has absolutely zero organic material in it, so I've been adding some cow manure and Kellog's amend to it to try and livin it up so I can plant some vegetables this spring-summer.

My garden is about 20x20. Should I build a shade over the compost pile and or the garden?

My third question-(last one I promise) is I know worms are great for working the soil. I dont really want to rely on them to compost wholely on their own, but I kinda need em to help the process along and work the soil. I've read that you need about 1000 for "worm composting" but how many do I need to help the soil along?

Thanks in advance

Comments (12)