SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
a_c_homesteader

Hard to start in cold weather revisited

a-c_homesteader
13 years ago

Well guys I hate to post about it again but we have a new problem with the 8hp Briggs I/C on the Simplicity 728. Now when the temp is above 20 degrees I have to flood it until gas is dripping out of the carb and then open and close the choke each pull then it will start. When the engine is cold I still have to take off the air filter to start it. But when the engine is warm it will start with the filter on. Went it's below 18 degrees forget it. Won;t go. When it did run I adjusted the carb to the the shop manual specs and then fine tuned it until it was perfect. I removed the E3.10 because it would stumble when throttled up and adjusting the carb didn't help. I put the NGK B2-LM back in and it throttles up and down smoothly now. I called the local Simplicity and the mechanic who's been there for 35 years looked it over and he said most of the Briggs flathead engines are picky and don't like cold weather. I have a bit of a hard time believing that. Small engine repair has been my hobby for the past 4 years but this one has me stumped. Anybody have an thoughts or ideas?

Comments (46)

• baymee
    13 years ago

Did you do a compression test on this? Does it have a compression release feature?

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Easy spin" starting which works off the intake valve. Compression is 78 psi cold and 173 hot

• Related Discussions

Cold weather, late start: too late to start seeds in zone 6?

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Calliope, I know what you mean, but those plants that can be planted before frost date usually can take frost easily. My nasturtiums, e.g. went through a few snow falls last year with their beautiful leaves and flowers before they finally yielded. I agree that one must know his area well and know how to estimate (though we cannot be 100% accurate). For some annuals, I wait 2 weeks after our formal frost dates, then check the forecast for the next 10 days, and if it looks good I can plant them. For tender annuals, I might wait a little longer or start indoor. For half-hardy or hardy annuals, I can start earlier.
    ...See More

Hard to start in cold weather

Q

Comments (34)
    "This engine is a 2 year old shortblock" "I took the carb apart and let it soak in SeaFoam overnight" OK, shortblock has nothing to do with a dirty old plugged up carb. You stated this was a gravity feed carb. so it still dirty, it an't gravity feeding enough to start on it own. Soaking over night with sea foam is not enough. You have to use Pressurized solvent that contains, acrtone, xylene, ketone just to name a few, this will enable it to break apart and blast the gum or tarnish through the small passages of the carb. (pressurized carb. cleaner was specific designed to do the job, even comes with a little red nozzle to stick right on the small passages to blow out, USE SAFETY GOGGLES cause if you don't get it lined up it will blow back in you face!, I would also read all the instructions and warnings on the can before I used it!)And you still probably need to use a fine piece of wire to ensure you unblock the fine metered curcuits throughout the intards of the carb. Soaking was an old method which used harsh chemicals that would melt away anything but metal and some time even soft metal as well if you left it in long enough. These chemicals are too dangerous and were outlawed back in the early 80's for use shade tree mechanic's if I remember correctly. If you know how to prime and it don't stay running the carb. is STILL dirty or GUMMED up.
    ...See More

Is Schumacher's open in this cold weather?

Q

Comments (4)
    It was a good day to go to Schumacher's :-) ... well, it was warm in the greenhouse! I snooped around in there while Bob walked the dogs. I got some things for gifts; for instance blooming sweet almonds and salvias in four inch pots. I'll transfer them to gallon pots and put a ribbon around them for Christmas gifts. Also got a couple more evergreen acacias. It is such a beautiful graceful multitrunked tree all year around I had to have more. All those were $1.00 each. I also bought a nice Victoria agave and what looks to be a Dyckia velascana from the picture on the yuccado.com site. In gallon pots they were on sale for $3.00. And something new has been added. Judine Schumacher is a licensed massage therapist and is going to have a room in the nursery sales cottage to give massages. So if you're tired and achy from shopping, from playing in the yard too long and hard, or whatever; she can fix you up right there with a relaxing body massage! There's a twenty percent discount for new clients :-)
    ...See More

Starting a diesel engine in cold weather...

Q

Comments (19)
    Diesels need three elements to operate:fuel, air, and compression. Make sure that your fuel is clean, the filter is not clogged/dirty, and that it isn't too old-after two months, it's old. Make sure your air filter is clean and there are no obstructions in the mainifold/hose. Compression is a matter of the engine-if the valves are timed properly to the position if the pistons, you will have compression. One thing you might do is bleed the fuel lines. I don't know the brand of your tractor, but I work on 4-6 cyl john deere engines. They are typically bled at the electric fuel pump, the filter and the injectors. With a manual you can see where these points are and bleeding is a simple job.
    ...See More
  • User
    13 years ago

Big swing from 78 psi to 173 psi...

78 psi cold... are you holding the throttle wide open while testing? Is that 78 psi cold dry or with an oil squirt in the plug hole?

That seems kinda low and low compression would contribute to hard starting.

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Throttle wide open with the air filter on. Dry cylinder

• User
    13 years ago

78 psi sure seems low and the huge difference between the cold and hot numbers screams out top end problem or would that be side end problem ;-)

If it were my engine that's the direction I'd go...

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've had the tractor sitting in the basement for 2-3 hours now. 70 degrees and I can pull it over faster since it's warmed up. I redid the compression test with the air filter off. and throttle wide open And now it shows 98 psi cold. I pushed it outside to see what it would do and it fired up on 2 pulls with no choke.

• User
    13 years ago

Sorry, but but there is still too big a difference in compression between cold and hot... your hot reading is almost twice the 98 psi you are now getting cold.

An internal combustion engine needs three things to start... fuel (with air), spark, and COMPRESSION. The big difference between the cold and hot compression readings indicates a piston, rings, bore or valve (train) problem. Could be a problem with the Easy Spin.

The way to solve these problems is Diagnostic Commandment #1... start at square one.

What weight oil is in that engine?

Have you adjusted the valves?

Have you verified that you have the correct valve lift to eliminate a bad cam lobe?

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oil is 5W-30 full syn.

Valves clearences are intake: .006 and exhaust .010. which is within specs

• User
    13 years ago

How long have you been running synthetic in that old engine?

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Its a shortblock. 2.5 years old. Still has hone marks visible on the cylinder. I've been running synthetic for 2 years and only in winter. SAE 30 or 10W-40 is what I use in summer

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

I would revisit the carb. and points and condenser if it was me.

• User
    13 years ago

RC, nothing in the the carb can cause low cold compression if he's holding the throttle wide open during the test and then there's the almost 90% increase in compression when hot. That right there is a top end problem giveaway IF the valve train is adjusted and operating properly

A-C, IMO it's not a good idea to be switching between synthetic and dino oil in any engine, but especially in that old an engine design. Pick one type and stay with it. With that old an engine design I'd use dino oil.

As I already said "the way to solve these problems is Diagnostic Commandment #1... start at square one"

My bad, I assumed you rechecked all the basic stuff like points, condenser, timing, valve clearance, and plugs before you posted.

When you're absolutely sure all that is correct then with the engine cold, squirt a couple squirts of dino oil into the plug hole, crank the engine a few revs with your finger covering the plug hole, replace the plug, and check the compression.

If the compression comes up above the 98 psi cold you have now then top end is where you go.

This is really a simple problem to diagnose if you don't jump around from idea to idea and proceed from square one in a logical order. You may not like the diagnosis but it is what it is.

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The book that came with the short block said for oil that 5W-30 or 10W-30 full syn can be used from -20F to 120F. Air filter cover says

Summer: SAE 30, 10W-30, 10W-40
    Winter: SAE 5W-30, 10W-30

• User
    13 years ago

Regardless of who or how the short block was built or rebuilt that is an old engine design with a lubrication system and seals designed back when dino oil was being used.

I agree that 5w-30 in cooler climates and 10w30 for moderate climates is a good choice.

As far as synthetic oil from new as in a new engine or short block generally that is only done when the engine is designed to use synthetic and synthetic is the FACTORY FILL.

Unless my engine (in anything) comes with synthetic as a factory fill I use dino oil till break-in is accomplished and then consider switching.

I've discussed this at length with a Kohler engineer regarding Command twins and singles and their position is that synthetic is ok after 100 hours.

Seems I'm beating my fingers up trying to help you so I'll just watch till you stumble on the problem and let us know how you resolved it.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

As i read this, I wonder how this engine will start onna fresh cold start - with the air filter off. If it does, that may indicate the filter is vapor frozen or dirt plugged. Last post, I din't realize the engine was in a tractor and had an air filter- just assumed it was a thrower w/ an air box. Let us know what happens w/ the next cold start.

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

8hp Briggs I/C. IMO he's luckly to have 98 Cold. 80 PSI is well within the range to start and compress gas to fire.

Individual Cylinder Chart: Engine % Variation Chart: (if 2 or more cyl.)
    0- 24 p.s.i. = Bad valve OR bad head gasket 0-5 % = Great
    25 - 54 p.s.i. = Poor (worn rings) 6-10 % = Good
    55 - 64 p.s.i. = OK 11-25 % = OK
    65 - 79 p.s.i. = Good 26% = Poor
    80 + p.s.i. = Race or too high compression

All the experts say 80 in the minimum?

Ref:
    http://staff.edmonds.wednet.edu/users/carlsons/0_esd_auto/images/1B&S_Compression_Test_Job_Sheet.pdf

• tomplum
    13 years ago

Truth is, I barely put a compression gauge on anything. Useful to do a ring /comparision test tho. Briggs didn't use to pubish a rating on these -rather use a leak down tester. About the only time I do see compression that high is a twin that lost a pushrod. Doesn't the high reading seem high for an L head to begin with? Lurker talked about valve lift, which could maybe create a similar situation. Supossedly it runs and starts well warm? Though when I've seen that on OHVs, the lash has increased as well.
    "When the engine is cold I still have to take off the air filter to start it." Does that not sound as though the filter isn't allowing enough air through? Compression then goes up 20 points? Why else would that be unless it can't get enough air? Just thinking aloud here....

• User
    13 years ago

RC,

Your link is a classroom exercise and does not deal in specific with that engine. It does not take into account the compression ratio or altitude

The giveaway to the problem is the difference between the cold and hot results. If you peruse tech info I'm confident you'll find that the differences in this guy's readings from cold to hot are far greater than usual... with your experience common sense would tell you that. Something in the top end is sealing dramatically better at working temp to register that much higher a reading and frankly, IMO that hot reading is way too high for that one lunger.

I'm not up on that engine but if you can link to the service manual let's see the specs and exactly what we're looking at in compression raatio.

I have never seen that great a difference in all my experience.

The really telling test would be a leakdown test. That would tell us volumes.

Of course, all out figuring is based on what the OP sees and tells us and whether or not he's accurately relaying that info and whether he has the knowledge or skill to really see what's in front of him.

• rcmoser
    13 years ago

That was just one example, it deals with Briggs engines, Last time I check they still make small gas engines? there was more that refered to 80 PSI when I goggled Minimum compression in small engines. I paste that one cause it had a chart. IMO if he kept oil in it with minimum run time there's probably nothing wrong with the bottom end.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

JL: A/C has posted this Hard Starting issue on another "Previous Thread" . We all have started(Including Mownie) with the basics of Hard (Cold) Starting 101 . The New Spark Plug , Points & Condenser , Ignition Module , Fuel Filter , Fresh Gas , fuel conditioner , Compression Test vs Leak Down Test to validate Valves vs Rings issue Scenerio's . Initially when the Original Compression Spec's came back from the OP we all felt ( I believe) that perhaps they were marginal and that a tired engine may be require a Cold Starting Ritual ( Starting Fluid or Carb Cleaner assist). I do not recall the extreme swing from Cold to Hot reading previously ? The Multi Grade Oil transition recommendation came from me but I don't recall advising Full Syn in an Older Engine , normally Dino 5w-30 or 40 dependant on coldest temps reached during his season . Hope you can further assist with his ongoing problem Bro !

• User
    13 years ago

Diagnosing problems like these is difficult to do long distance. Sometimes the symptoms are so clear and the problem is common enough we are able to help a poster but more times than not we just spin our wheels.

I'd never try to diagnose a problem over the phone for a customer but we type and type trying to help a stranger. Now, if the OP could move it closer to his monitor so we could see it that would be a big help...

The OP has a 2.5 year old short block... a new short block or rebuilt? Who rebuilt it? Who installed it? Who tuned it? What has it's life been in the last 2.5 years? Low hours? If so, perhaps this problem was introduced by the replacement short block?

If I had that puppy on my bench I'd diagnose it in less than an hour but on the forum no, so I'll bow out out of this thread cause it will be a matter of blind luck if anyone figures it out.

• mownie
    13 years ago

If the engine here is the same one in the link below, your piston ring tension may have been compromised by what the mice did.
    Regardless of crosshatch marks still visible on the cylinder walls, the rings may have contracted enough to keep them from inflating as quickly as they need to when stone cold.
    You might want to revisit a set of piston rings here.
    Piston rings would be my suspect here, now that I reread the older thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overheated

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Mownie. Its that same engine. I believe with the cold compression test I wasn't able to pull it fast enough so the "Easy Spin" was kicking in at the slower speed like it is suppose to. After I let it warm up in the basement I was able to pull it over alot faster then before so the "Easy Spin" didn't affect it as much. I called my dealer and talked to the mechanic this morning and he said for the hot reading, when hot I should be able to pull it over fast enough so the compression release doesn't stay open as long. 110-180 psi when hot is what he said is good and that the I/C series usually have a bit high compression then the standard aluminum bore because the I/C uses a different piston and rings than the aluminum (I knew that before) and the ring seal is better against the cast iron bore then the aluminum bore.

• User
    13 years ago

As usual... there's more to the story and this time from another thread.

It doesn't take a lot to overheat a thumper.

Cross hatch means little... the rings are everything. The rings may have lost their tension as Mownie said or they may be sticking in the rings lands of the piston (burned oil in the land) or the rings may have polished themselves and aren't sealing when cold. The ring gap may not have been fitted correctly when the short block was assembled or rebuilt.

All very apparent to the eye of a professional but not so obvious to an amateur or hobbyist or DIYer.

This is obviously another wild mouse chase...

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I put some SeaFoam in the oil when I changed to help free them if they were sticking. I've had great luck with it for freeing up stuck/sticky rings. I had an Allis-Chalmers 6hp Homesteader tractor with a 6hp Briggs on it. And the rings were stuck and the compression was only 50 pis cold and it smoked really bad when first started and burned alot of oil. After 3 oil changes with the SeaFoam in the oil the compression went up to 70 psi and it didn't smoke as bad and the oil use pretty much stopped

• mownie
    13 years ago

OK, Seafoam or other solvent additives can certainly help free up rings if they are sticky from hardened carbon/oil/varnish deposits.
    But neither Seafoam nor any other type of oil additive can bend a contracted ring back to its original elastic value.

• User
    13 years ago

Seafoam will do nothing to remove the polish from an overheated ring and, in agreement with Mownie, will do nothing to repair a damaged ring.

You've got pros here trying to help you and you have an excuse for everything without a single answer. Are you telling us not to try to help you?

Engine overhaul in a can... always the easy way rather than doing the work and learning.

Sorry A-C, the mark of an amateur... again.

Best of luck to you.

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Update: It is still hard to start but I have ran 3 tanks of gas with a heavy dose of SeaFoam and half a can down the intake. Changed the oil to Mobil 1 5W-30 with 1oz of SeaFoam to control the condensation. Compression is a bit stronger since switching to Mobil 1. It runs alot better since. I did notice the crankcase breather tube is ripped where it goes into the carb...could this cause excess air leakage and cause the hard starting?

Follow-up's by 'Justalurker" will be ignored

• tomplum
    13 years ago

No, the tube won't cause hard starting in itself. It could leave an opportunity for dirt to be ingested tho. Is it starting markedly better yet w/o the filter installed?

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes it is a little bit better. Still can't start it cold with the filter on

• ewalk
    13 years ago

A/C: JL knows his Stuff ! The air filter removal requirement points to a lack of proper fuel to air ratio which of course will lend to a overly rich fuel charge , when the filter is installed and insufficient air is being introduced to the cylinder. I think as I previously stated and voiced also by JL and other contributors that your engine is tired. There are numerous conditions that must be met for constant cold starting performance . Any one or combination of other deficiencies can and will cause your condition. As JL and I think most members would concur if your engine was on our workbench the diagnostic solution would be much easier to determine. All the Best Dude , keep a can of quick start available if cold storage is only available , just the thoughts of a retired former Diesel Mechanic lol :)

• User
    13 years ago

A-C, ignore this...

Before your next try at a cold start remove the spark plug and give a quick squirt of your engine oil of choice into the combustion chamber. Not a lot of oil just a quick squirtlet(?).

Turn the engine over by hand a few turns to distribute the oil and then replace the spark plug.

If it starts easier then...

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had this issue posted on Simpletractors.com also, and from what they told me it's a vacuum leak that is caused by the crankcase breather tube being torn and letting more air into the carb. As a test I unhooked the tube from the carb and plugged it and it fired up on 3 pulls with the filter on. I will be heading to the dealer today to buy a new tube.

JL: I do use this tractor year round for mowing, tilling, hauling gravel, firewood, plowing snow, etc. I mow mine and my neighbors yard with it so she does rack up some hours on her...that's why I went with the I/C (Industrial/Commercial) 8hp shortblock.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

Can't be a vaccuum leak caused by a breather tube. A tube that feeds from the breather to a carb or airbox is an emissions item only. Remeber the days that the breather tubes fed out into the open air? The breather itself is a one way valve allowing venting when the pressure would other wise build. It closes and allows a vaccuum to form. That's not to say that the tube shouldn't be replaced. You may want to call ahead as it may not be a stocked item.

• User
    13 years ago

With respect to those posting on any other forum... it doesn't matter whether the air cleaner box is on the carb or there is or isn't an air cleaner element in the air box or the carb is exposed to the open air... mixture and choke is done in the carb and that air fuel mixture is critical from the carb throat (venturi) towards the intake manifold and into the combustion chamber.

If the breather tube connects to the intake before the carb and if you do have an air leak it is elsewhere than the breather tube.

If the breather hose connects to the intake on the cylinder head side of the carb that is an entirely different story.

• User
    13 years ago

A caveat to the first paragraph in my previous post...

If the air cleaner box or air cleaner element is grossly restricting the air flow to the carb (sopping wet with oil or dead bird or rodent... the possibility of which I believe has been eliminated by the OP) the engine will be hard to start... hot or cold.

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

JL: I got the new tube this afternoon and the problem is solved. I can start it with the filter on and it starts on 3 pulls

• User
    13 years ago

Where does the tube connect from and to the intake tract?

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It goes from the crankcase breather to the right side of the air intake below the air filter

• User
    13 years ago

A question I've been trying to get you to answer for quite a while...

On the air filter side of the carb or the cylinder head side of the carb... in other words before the carb or after the carb?

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Before

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Air starvation is what I was indicating from your description of starts easier with the air filter off allowing adequate air to fuel mixture. As JL has advised dirty or loaded filter medium will cause this extreme condition. However as JL has requested (orientation) if the hose connects to the venturi area of the carb it will have a direct effect on air entrainment into the fuel air mixture. As we have stated previously , not having you engine at arms length make diagnosis rather difficult (hit & miss) . A torn or cracked or loose impulse line is something any technician inspects and replaces as a matter of fact. This from a former diesel mechanic who has chased numerous vacuum / return to tank fuel line issues causing air entrainment hard or no start diesel applications . Anyhow for what ever reason glad you have solved your hard starting dilemma :)

• tomplum
    13 years ago

AC, how has the starting been?

• a-c_homesteader
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's been great. Full choke and 2-3 pulls and away it starts

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Amen lol .

• tomplum
    13 years ago

That's great news! It is real gratifying for you I'm sure to not have to mess around with it just to get it cranked up. At your next service interval, you may want to give the breather a good servicing as well. Thanks for reporting back.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus