SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Favorite Gardening Books?

Kippy
12 years ago

Even in the digital age, I enjoy real printed books. I usually buy used books, amazon, estate sales etc...

I was wondering what some of your favorite Antique Rose books are? Rose books? Gardening books? Landscaping books etc?

For me-just gardening books;

Sunset Western Garden

52 Weeks in the California Garden

Pat Welch's Southern California Organic Gardening

These are a few favorites that usually live on the night stand.

I just got Classic Roses and few others, but was wondering what everyone else enjoys to have on their book shelf.

Comments (22)

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

Any book written by Graham Stewart Thomas - he wrote about roses, gardening, rock gardens, etc. etc. He was a poet, an artist (did his own illustrations), and was one of the main proponents of saving the "old roses in the middle of the 20th century. His books are so well written that I would enjoy them even if I was NOT interested in gardening!

Jackie

• User
    12 years ago

hey Jacqueline - have you tried Reginald Farrer. Between him and William Robinson, the meaning of the words contentious and obstreporous are truly clarified. Kings of purple prose.

• Related Discussions

Favorite GARDENING books and tv shows?

Q

Comments (7)
    Since you asked, allow me to suggest this television show: 'Fresh From the Garden' on DIY Network. You may not get this, but it is a national show. DIY Network is a sister station to HGTV. This show is all about vegetable gardening, from seed to harvest. I may be partial though, because I'm the host of the show. If you'd like more info. check out www.diynetwork.com, and look up the show by title, or do a search. You can also google me (Joe Lamp'l) to find out more. Hope you get to watch.
    ...See More

Survey: Your Favorite Gardening Books

Q

Comments (38)
    I'll second the Tasha Tudor. So gorgeous and enchanting. I'm also a big fan of Henry Mitchell and Allan Lacy. But what about Mrs. Greenthumbs? Her first one is so very funny. and inspiring. How often do you laugh out loud at a gardening book. (Mitchell when he's in one of his grumps does elicit chuckles but who can forget Mrs. Greenthumbs mixing Mai tais, entertaining relatives, cursing magenta?) I give her book to new gardeners and tell them, read it and adopt this attitude and your garden will be a thing of beauty and a joy forever. I also give a copy of Jeff Cox's 100 Perennial All Stars. Terrific. Also loved, loved the Larkwhistle book. Patrick Lima and John Scanlan. One garden through the year with terrific insights and tips. Beautiful. This one truly inspires. Maybe the favorite.
    ...See More

Your Favorite Garden books

Q

Comments (2)
    i really like square foot gardening. we do a lot of container/raised bed gardening and i find this really helps me figure out how much to plant and where to put it. kind of basic and i'm pretty sure there are a lot f books out there on the subject, but i like the layout of this one too-- a page for each veggie giving space requirements, soil needs, planting and harvesting tables, etc.
    ...See More

Favorite Gardening Books and Blog That You Follow

Q

Comments (0)
    (1) What are your favorite books on Gardening and or Roses. Pl. share title and author (2) What gardening blog do you follow or revisit often.
    ...See More
  • michaelg
    12 years ago

Michael Pollan's Second Nature
    Thomas Christopher's In Search of Lost Roses

These are the most interesting books about gardening that I know of.

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

I'm very fond of Katharine White's "Onward and Upward in the Garden" and Elizabeth Lawrence's book, "Gardening for Love." Henry Mitchell's books.

Michaelg, thanks for the reference to the Michael Pollan book. I looked it up and want to read it.

Suzy Verrier's books on rugosa and gallica roses. Mike Shoup's book, "Landscaping with Antique Roses." The Thomas Christopher book michaelg mentioned is wonderful, too.

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

Michael Dirr's 'Manual of Woody Landscape Plants'. A bible. I'm using the 90's edition, but there's a later edition out which I bought but haven't picked up yet: I'll get it when I go to Florida this summer.

Henry Mitchell's books. My highly useful (probably not to anybody else on this forum) 'Checklist aggiornata e commentata della flora vascolare della Provincia di Piacenza', in the previous edition titled 'Flora Piacentina'. It lists every plant (vascular) known to grow wild in the province. Few pictures, but there's Google Images for that. I just wish it had an appendix of genera listed by family: it would make identifications much easier.

These are just a few of the books I refer to and enjoy.

Melissa

• cath41
    12 years ago

In no special order:

Edith Wharton's Italian Gardens by Vivian Russell
    Hellebores by Burrell and Tyler
    The Gardener's Guide to Growing Hellebores by Rice and
    Strangman
    Snowdrops by Bishop, Davis and Grimshaw
    Gardens in Winter by Elizabeth Lawrence
    Lob's Woods "
    The Little Bulbs "
    A Southern Garden "
    Growing Camellias in Cold Climates by Ackerman
    Beyond the Camellia Belt "
    Gardener Cook by Christopher Lloyd
    The Cook and the Gardener by Amanda Hesser
    The Essential Earthman by Henry Mitchell
    'And Some Brought Flowers': Plants in a New World by Downie
    and Hamilton
    The Education of a Gardener by Russell Page
    Heirloom Vegetable Gardening by William Woys Weaver
    The Apple Grower by Michael Phillips
    Herbs for Every Garden by Foster
    Gerard's Herbal
    The Garden in Autumn by Allen Lacy
    Color Echoes: Harmonizing Color in the Garden by Pamela
    Harper
    The English Flower Garden by Wm Robinson
    Passion for Roses by Peter Beales
    Best Rose Guide by Phillips and Rix
    The Old Shrub Roses by Graham Stuart Thomas
    Shrub Roses of Today "
    Climbing Roses Old and New "
    Perennial Garden Plants: or the Modern Florilegium "
    The Anatomy of Dessert by Bunyard
    A Handbook of Hardy Fruits More Commonly Grown in Great
    Britain: Apples and Pears by Bunyard
    The Fragrant Year by Helen Wilson
    A Modern Herbal by Mrs M. Grieve
    Books by Helen Dillon
    Books by Beth Chatto

Cath

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Any rose grower in a warm cliate would benefit from owning a copy of Tea Roses.

Rosefolly

• altorama Ray
    12 years ago

I have so many, I must have 70 just on roses. But the one I read the most is the Vintage Garden's catalog, which I consider a book.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    12 years ago

A few of the books I have enjoyed most are not strictly about gardening topics, though some are: Beatrix Potter, a Life in Nature by Linda Lear; Beautiful Madness by James Dodson; Eden on Their Minds by Star Ockenga; Landscape with Roses by Jeff Cox.
    Diane

• erasmus_gw
    12 years ago

The one I have spent the most time reading is Taylor's Garden Encyclopedia. It familiarized me with many plants I'd never heard of and contains much how-to information. My book was very old and fell apart.

• professorroush
    12 years ago

I'd echo others here; Henry Mitchell, Michael Pollan for reading. For "todo" books, Lauren Springer-Ogden and Michael Shoup/Liz Druitt. For roses, the Christopher book and the Downing Hardy Roses text, Druitt's Organic Rose, etc.

I've got a list of my favorites on my blog, linked below, and if you go to the main page and look at the Garden Writing category, I have reviewed a number of books on my blog at times, most recently "A New Leaf" by Merilyn Simonds

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite Garden Books list on Garden Musings Blog

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I would not want to be without any of these three resources: my garden book collection, the Gardenweb AR forum, and the knowledge of other rose growing friends.

• NewGirlinNorCal
    12 years ago

The reprint of Pickering's
    An Axe, A Spade and Ten Acres by George Courtauld. I don't like how English gardening books dominate the genre, but this book is so wonderful. It's also 30 years old so it's interesting to see the start of modern gardening philosophy. It's also very funny.

The Complete Shade Gardener by George Schenk. This is the first book to give me the confidence to prune. It also represents a lovely attitude toward gardens and gardening in general.

A Rose by Any Name: The Little Known Lore and Deep-Rooted History of Rose Names by Douglas Brenner. This covers a lot of the same territory as A History of the Fragrent Rose by Allen Paterson but is much, much less heavy. I tried to get through AHotFR and had to quit not quite halfway through. In some ways the problem is that the book itself is too small to read for any length of time, but that's the sort of study it calls for.

Not exactly a "keep with me always" favorite, but worth reading (to me at least) is Francis Parkman's The Rose Book. It helps explain how and why rose cultivation went in the directions it did in the Victorian era. It's also interesting to read about strictly organic rose-growing methods.

• leelf1
    12 years ago

I always enjoyed reading Margery Fish's books on her gardening experiences in England. For climate contrast but just as enjoyable for me is Pamela Harper's book on gardening in the Chesapeake tidewater area. The love of these authors for their gardens is awe-inspiring.

• justkristyj
    12 years ago

Not really a rose gardening book, but I bought a copy of Patricia Lanza's Lasagna Gardening book that I find really interesting! It's been out a while.

• cath41
    12 years ago

I second The Complete Shade Gardener by George Schenk. He's a great writer. He also wrote a book on moss, Moss Gardening Including: Lichens, Liverworts, and Other Miniatures. Hence my foray into moss gardening. I had been thinking of doing it for some time and he pushed me over the edge. However, the shade garden book will appeal to more gardeners.

Cath

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

I think that every gardener needs a good general garden reference, a good regional gardening book, and several books on his area of particular interest, whether that be roses or herbs or vegetables or shade gardening (and the George Schenk book is widely admired). That is the core. After that, if you have it bad, you will soon find that you have shelves full. You will go through your books and pull out ones you no longer find useful and donate them to the book sale at the local public library as a thank you to the help you got there when you were starting out. After you reach that point you stop into the bookstore, check out the garden section, and discover that once again, they don't have anything you want because you already have it covered. Maybe you will find a worthwhile new garden book once or twice a year, and that if you are lucky.

Rosefolly

• Kippy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have enjoyed the book ideas, I actually have several of already and added a couple more.

I enjoy reading the books, okay looking at the pictures first :) and then asking questions here.

I may have to get the George Schnek book in the future, after I dismantle our 100+ year old shed/stall, the total shade under the neighbors massive CA oak tree will look even more lonely and dark.

Today I took "In search of Lost Roses" with me to read while waiting in the docs office on mom, I am not the fashion mag kind of gal.

Rosefolly, I did the shelf clearing of many of my cookbooks, I saved the special ones, but I use the internet more than the paper books. But I am one of the people that visits the book section at the rummage sales and thrift stores too (Amazon used is kind of the same thing with out the car trip)

I already have a couple of shelves of garden topic books, plus the travel books that include all the wild flowers and nature books...and the id guides and the photo books.... I need to sort through my dads collection of garden books too, some might be interesting from his days in Botany classes (from the 30's) But with the price of gas, I find that a day spent on a virtual trip through a garden book is quite a nice value. And I can always donate the ones I have grown past.

• User
    12 years ago

anything by Christopher Lloyd and Beth Chatto.
    Tony Lord's Landscaping with roses (although all the pages came loose in my copy)
    Sort of like Robin Lane Fox (although he is a terrible snob)

mystified by the enjoyment of Russell Page - the man is an insufferable bore and represents everything bad, snobbish, conservative about gardening - ghastly.
    Michael Pollan - fairly new to us in the UK but the PSB documentary opened our eyes.
    Lewis and Lynch for a great monograph on campanulas
    Yeo - Hardy geraniums
    The entire Rix and Phillips books - extremely good value. Still waiting on alpines.
    Will Ingwerson on alpines and rock plants (and, of course, Reginald Farrer)
    Wild gardening - Wm Robinson
    Margery Fish - We made a Garden
    John Brookes is good on design
    Ursula Buchan - Garden People
    Penelope Hobhouse (but again, a tad snobbish and dated)
    Growing from Seed - Graham Rice
    Organic Gardening- (the great)Laurence Hills
    The Genus Cyclamen - Christopher Grey-Wilson
    The English Gardener - Wm Cobbett
    Hellebores - Rice and Strangman
    classic roses - Beales
    Dwarf Bulbs - Brian Mathew
    The flowering of Britain - Richard Mabey, Tony Evans

Hate all celebrity and 'media' gardening (anything by Joe Swift, Alan Titchmarsh, Alys Fowler and other know-nothings and fame whores)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Tony Lord's Landscaping with roses (although all the pages came loose in my copy)

Mine too--must have been the book.

I like John Brookes. He communicates his ideas so clearly and simply, even I can understand them. Henry Mitchell, Christopher Lloyd.

• User
    12 years ago

oh yeah, one that has been mentioned a few times, Shade Gardening - george schenk. found mine in a charity shop and really like his no-nonsense style.
    completely forgot Jack Harkness - the making of beautiful roses and his little monograph, Roses.