SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rcmoser

Easiest way to get any gas engine started if it son't want to sta

rcmoser
15 years ago

I don't know why there is this great myth "don't use carb. cleaner down the carb when the engine is running or need primed to start. walk in any repair shop and you will see the stuff by the case. When they say they cleaned the carb. what do you think the cleaned it with?

USE a Can Of CARB CLEANER to prime it by directly spraying it down the carb. then CHOKE it and pull the rope or remove the spark plug and spary a 2 second blast down the spark plug hole! Two stroke or four it won't hurt the engine. Some will say don't do it on two strokes but using it for priming won't hurt a thing. Due to the little heat build up and small amount of time the engine runs off the cleaner.

Course if you fill the tank up with carb. cleaner and go weedeat, mow, or till then heat will build up and lock it up when you put pressure on the engine in a short time. really that all you need to run the engine when priming it anyway a few seconds to get the fuel pull through the carb.

You may have to do this several time depending on how long the engine has been laying around? I do a fuel system cleanup before hand that way not crud get pull into the carb.

A simple fuel system clean up usually means. remove the gas tank and clean it out using carb. cleaner and swab or even use a pressure washer (just get all the water out if you use the pressure washer). Remove the spark plug clean it and spray carb. cleaner down the spark plug hole and pull the rope. this cleans out the comb chamber or chambers and primes the engine for quick start. install the plug, inspect the fuel hoses and/or primer bulb, put the tank back on, and start it up.

severe cases of neglect you may have to disassemble the carb. clean all the passages and replace some diaphrams, but I would try cleaning it first before I put money in it. Some you may even have to take the head off (or jug)and clean the carbon off the head, piston and gasket/ Good Idea to check the muffler also for carbon buildup.

Bottom line if you engine won't start try priming it with carb. cleaner, if that don't work see if you got spark!

Comments (20)