SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
velvetstar

Alberic Barbier doesn't bloom

velvetstar
17 years ago

In September 2005 I took cuttings from a superb Alberic Barbier, an antique rambler rose.

One of them survived and developed into quite large specimen.

It is in a pot 16 by 16 inches large, 24 inches deep.

The rose climbs on a pillar near a south facing wall and gets direct sun all day long, while the pot is shaded.

Last year I had a few flowers. This year the rose is covered with glossy leaves, but no flower at all. Its "mother" is covered with blooms by now.

At first my rose was covered with buds, but they never really developed into flowers: the buds got yellowish, the bud stems became very weak and covered with necrotic areas. Now if I touch them, they break off half an inch down from the bud.

The rose tree looks quite healthy: it has a little mildew, which I keep easily in check. Some leaves, especially, the most shaded ones get a little yellow, but there aren't real signs of clorosis. Last year it got red spider mite, but this year the pests aren't around yet.

Other information:

1. The tub water in my area is quiet hard.

2. Before leaf buds broke, I sprayed it with Bordeaux mixture.

3. In March I sprayed it with a systemic insecticide.

4. In March I fed it with a commercial rose food N.P.K 4-8-10, which works pretty well with all the others rose I've got.

5. In April I prayed it twice with a systemic fungicide and once I added a liquid fertilizer N.P.K 5-6-7, which works woders with my other roses.

What can cause my problem?

Is it due to nitrogen shortage, since the rose foods nitrogen content is only 4 or 5? From now on should I use a more nitrogen rich fertilizer? Should I now add a nitrogen corrective?

Can it be due to lack of other nutrients? or to a specific diseases?

I hope someone can give me a clue.

Thank you

Velvet Star

Comments (15)