SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dtilton_gw

Want to start composting leaves as easily as possible- HELP!

dtilton
16 years ago

Hi all! We've been dumping leaves in our yard in one area for years now, but we'd like to landscape and use that part of the yard, so we need to get rid of leaves now. We mulch with the mower most of the leaves in the 2 acre yard, but the part that's tree dense, we just let nature take its course. Now that we're taking part of the woods online for the yard, we need to compost those leaves for our veggie and herb garden, Here's what we'd like to do- basically, rake the leaves into big piles, mix in "SOMETHING" to get the decomposition cooking, then turn as needed and use. We need to know what the SOMETHING is.... There's only 2 of us and we already compost our garbage,coffee grounds, etc, but there's so little of it, it wouldn't make a dent in a pile of leaves.

So- with a lowes and HD close buy, what's the magic ingredient that I can buy to mix in and get the piles heated up? Looking for a brand name or type of product, organic if possible, that we can just mix in. From other posts I've read, we need to balance nitrogen/carbon. This pile is just leaves- nothing else. I have the ability to add shredded junk mail as well if needed, but really just looking for the magic ingredient from HD or Lowes.... Thanks! -Digby

Comments (17)